Friday, August 21, 2009

Send In the Calvary

I picked up my vancomycin prescription early this afternoon. I experienced a slight delay at the pharmacy. They couldn't find vancomycin, although their computer told them they had 73 pills. Finally they found 30 (out of 56 for 2 weeks). So I carried those home and then took the first pill with lunch. After 3 hours I realized all my previous symptoms were caused by c-diff, NOT the high dose probiotics, because the fecal frequency (feeling like I had to go all the time), bloating, cramping pain, nausea and dizziness disappeared. I still had some intestinal tenderness. I felt WONDERFUL for a couple of hours until I needed to take the next dose. I will take vanco with higher fat meals for a few days until my body adjusts to vanco. I'm uncertain whether it causes nausea or all the nausea is c-diff related. However, I know for certain that the probiotic did NOT cause all that pain and bloating which began a few days after I finished 7 days of vanco.

During lunch the pharmacy called me to say that they found the rest of my prescription order (the other 26 pills). I told them I'd pick those up next week, because I have enough for a few days. Besides I already planned to blanch and freeze zucchini from the garden. I picked those yesterday and couldn't wait another day.

I don't know whether 2 weeks of vanco will kill all the c-diff. So I plan to see how I feel after finishing the prescription. I won't begin high dose probiotics until I know whether the c-diff symptoms will return immediately. I had hoped taking those would prevent recurrence of c-diff. However, I learned that, if the spores are still active, the probiotics won't stop c-diff from attacking my intestines again.

No comments: