Friday, August 21, 2009

Unmistakable C-Diff Symptoms

I went from cramping pain and bloating last night to overwhelming nausea, dizziness, chills and passing mucus this morning. So I called my doc's office twice to leave messages that my c-diff symptoms returned and I needed another, longer round of vancomycin. Then my doc's receptionist called to tell me he was out of the office today. However, she contacted him at home. So he will call a prescription for 2 weeks of vancomycin into my local clinic pharmacy. That's the good news.

The bad news is I doubt I will be well enough to go to Maui on October 6. Despite my orthodontist's efforts to get my teeth realigned and restored before my trip, I suspect I will need to cancel our plane and hotel reservations. I seriously doubt that 2 weeks of vanco will eliminate the c-diff. I may need even longer treatment. C-diff is a really tough bug to kill.

Ironically I may have contracted c-diff after treating Candida with nystatin for an extended period. Most c-diff infections occur after antibiotic use, but some occur after antifungal treatments. Every drug has side effects, immediate, short term and long term. I hope I don't get any long term side effects from vancomycin EXCEPT eliminating c-diff.

Even more ironic is the fact that my c-diff symptoms became much more obvious in April after I stopped bingeing and purging in March. I now understand how I would want to overeat to cope with nausea and also throw up when food didn't make the nausea better. I have that situation right now. I thought eating a small breakfast would help with nausea this morning. However, not even ginger tea touches this nausea. I'll just keep busy to distract myself until I can walk in the cool air to my pharmacy to pick up my vancomycin. The sooner I can start taking vanco, the sooner I can begin to fight the c-diff bug which causes these awful symptoms.

No comments: