Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Probiotics Helped

Taking an extra probiotic capsule (8 billion good bacteria) at breakfast resolved my problem of riboflavin deficiency (evidenced by sores in the corners of my mouth) and vancomycin induced diarrhea. Of course I felt bloated all day and all night after taking another probiotic capsule, but I don't have obvious signs of low good bacteria. I do still have bloat 1-2 hours after every meal. I suspect that's caused by the vanco itself. I get a little cramping pain, some fecal urgency (but not really going) and bloating awhile after taking the vanco. I don't know whether that means it's eliminating the c-diff or that the c-diff is winning. I hate not really knowing what's going on, but I'm not anxious to spend another $300 for a stool test to determine whether I still have c-diff. I'll just pay attention to how I feel.

Also I realized after taking the vanco capsule with just water last night that I never really needed to eat a high fat snack or anything to take the vanco. A large glass of water was enough to prevent burning stomach pain. I could also drink more water to eliminate any burning sensations. I wonder why that pharmacist told me I had to eat high fat foods to take the vanco. All the other info just said take with full glass of water. Maybe she thought I looked thin and needed to gain some weight. Well, compared to most overweight people working for my HMO I do look thin.

However now I need to decide how to lose the extra fluff around my waist. I will weigh tomorrow morning and assess the damage. At the very least I need to eat more mindfully, especially limit eating to sitting down. I don't really enjoy the food I eat standing up while preparing the meal, as much as I enjoy eating the meal. Those stand up bites still reduce my hunger, so I can't eat as much as I planned without overeating at the meal. However, I've also done lots of overeating beyond satisfaction during the past week on vanco and the previous 17 days on flagyl. I sure hope all that treatment eliminated the c-diff bug, becuase I'm tired of enduring side effects from treatment and comforting myself with excess food. Even if I'm well enough to go to Maui, excess weight will make me feel uncomfortable in hot weather (skimpy, revealing) clothes.

I don't want to restrict WHAT I eat, because that just sets me up for rebellious or 'last supper' binges om all the foods I restrict. I already have restrictions from 7 food allergies. Also I've abstained from bingeing (and purging) for 20 weeks now or almost 5 months. However all those 'almost' bnges, when I stopped myself after overeating before actually bingeing, contributed lots of excess calories. I need to change WHEN I eat or only when I'm hungry and stopping as soon as I feel satisfied or just barely full. That will also eliminate the reflux I have experienced lately when I overeat.

Above all I need to change HOW I eat so I only eat sitting down. No more snacks while I prepare what I really wanted to eat. No more afterthought desserts standing in the kitchen doing dishes. No more samples at the grocery store, just because the food is free. I intend to sit down and focus on how hungry I feel, how the food tastes and whether I'm satisfied.

2 comments:

Claudi said...

sounds like a good plan to me

:)

Claudia

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. When I weight tomorrow, I will know how much of this 'fluff' is bloat and how much is extra weight. I would be happy if I stayed the same as I weighed before I started the vanco. However, that was still 3 pounds above what I usually weigh.