Saturday, August 29, 2009

Irregular Doses and 3 Pounds

For the past 2 days I've had a late breakfast, about 11 hours after my late night dose of vancomycin. For the past 2 mornings I had nausea, chills and more gut pain. So I suspect waiting too long between late night and breakfast doses allows the c-diff spores to retalite, because nausea, chills and gut pain are definitely recurrent c-diff symptoms.

I scheduled an appointment with my doc next week, 12 days into this 2 week course of vanco. If I'm not completely symptom free by then, I may request another 2 week round of vanco. However, I'm also concerned about possible hearing loss from longterm vanco use. I've noticed some ringing and fullness in my ears occasionally since starting vanco. I hope I can kill the c-diff before vanco destroys my hearing.

Also I continue to weigh an extra 3 pounds. Some people may ask 'what's the big deal about 3 pounds?' However my weight hardly ever varies by more than a pound. I gained those 3 pounds during my flagyl treatment, when I was eating for nausea, rather than hunger, and didn't really feel hungry. A 'normal eater' might lose weight when they felt nauseas and not hungry. However with a history of emotional 'comfort' eating, I easily returned to using food to distract myself from emotional frustration (about flagyl side effects) and fears (about c-diff complications).

Those 3 extra pounds tell me that I am STILL eating when I'm not hungry and continuing to eat past full. Although I have cut back a little, I still snack on 'low calorie' fruit like cantaloupe or grapes, because I enjoy the sweet taste and rationalize that it's low calorie. SIGH Nevertheless all those extra bites add up and sustain those 3 extra pounds.

I often feel unsatisfied after meals, even though I feel full. Because I want another sweet taste to feel 'satisfied', I go for fruit like cantaloupe, grapes and dates (which I can limit to one). However, if I just ignore that unsatisfied feeling for 20-30 minutes, I feel satisifed and really don't want any more food. I NEVER want to eat after dinner at night, beyond that one medjool date. Yet I suspect that I could just stop eating after I feel full and feel satisfied within 30 minutes if I just waited for my digestion to raise my blood sugar. That might eliminate enough extra food to lose a few extra pounds. Only eating when I'm physically hungry and stopping as soon as I feel slightly full would also prevent gaining more weight.

No comments: