Thursday, August 20, 2009

More C-Diff

48 hours after completing the 7 day high dose probiotic treatment, which followed my 7 day vancomycin treatment for c-diff, cramping pain, bloating and fecal urgency convinced me that c-diff spores are rampant once again in my intestines. Rather than just left lower abdominal pain, I also have right lower abdominal pain. I hesitated to assess my symptoms while taking the high dose probiotics, because those can cause bloating. However I usually don't get pain and bloating for 24 hours after taking those probiotics. Also as soon as I finished the 7 day probiotic treatment and returned to lower dose probiotics, I knew my symptoms were more c-diff.

So I just emailed my doc to request another, but extended round of vancomycin. I didn't get any bad side effects or any less dangerous but bothersome symptoms from vanco. I know I can easily take that again. I also learned that I don't need to take that with food, just a tall glass of water. So I can space the doses out evenly without needing to stay up late at night to get the last dose evenly spaced after dinner. I just hope my doc is in the office tomorrow. I don't want to spend a weekend suffering and wondering when he can call my prescription to my HMO pharmacy.

No comments: