Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2 Day Break from Treatment

Per my doc's suggestion I'm taking a 2 day break from treating C-diff. So I'll start the vancomycin tomorrow morning with breakfast. I still have nausea and horrid metallic taste from flagyl. I still have cramping pain, urgency and passing mucous from c-diff. So I know I need to take the vanco to eliminate the c-diff bacteria, but I wanted to let the flagyl induced-nausea decrease a bit, before beginning vanco, which may also cause nausea and dizziness.

The pharmacist also recommended I take vanco with food to protect my stomach. Some people get stomach irritation from Vanco. Since I already have CD and food allergy 'stomach' problems, I will take vanco with my 3 meals and a bedtime snack. I'm supposed to evenly space vanco intake. When I asked the pharmacist exactly what kind of food was best, she said 'fats'. I get fats with most meals, but usually snack on fruit, although I rarely snack before bed. So I plan to eat earlier meals so that I can be hungry for a bedtime snack. I don't want to eat something that will disturb my sleep, so I'll have ice cream. I can't think of a better high fat food, but easily digested food, than my coconut milk based, allergy free ice cream. I LOVE having an excuse to eat ice cream EVERY DAY. LOL

I've asked several friends to pray for my recovery from this c-diff bacteria. If you're reading this blog, but I have not personally requested prayer, please pray for me. I really want to eliminate this dangerous bacteria with this round of vancomycin treatment. I have no other choices besides flagyl and vanco drug treatment, except surgery to remove intestinal tissue damaged by C-diff. I hope vancomycin will prevent that possibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue: I'm not much of a prayer, but I do wish you happiness and well being...

sue said...

Thanks, Olia. I appreciate any form of good thoughts sent my way. Even good luck might help as I begin the vancomycin tomorrow. There are several irreversible side effects (like hearing loss) from vanco. So I'm a little anxious. However many of those reported side effects come from hospital patients who are already have underlying illnesses.

Taking these past 2 days off convinced me that I still have c-diff. Although most of my flagyl side effects decreased I felt more like I had the flu with dizziness and fatigue, generally feeling spacey today. That seems more like what I felt before I ever took flagyl. Anyway I'll share my vanco reactions in my next blog post.