Friday, August 14, 2009

High Dose Probiotics

For years I struggled with constipation. Everyone told me eat more fiber, drink more fluids, eliminate food allergies, take probiotics, take magnesium and vitamin C, drink apple juice, etc. I did all those things and still had constipation, when I had bacterial imbalances in my gut from bacteria, parasites and fungus. Most recently I took flagyl and then vancomycin to treat c-diff. The first week of flagyl turned my constipation into loose stools. However that returned to constipation, bloating and pain after a few weeks. The second round of flagyl did not resolve that constipation. After one day of taking vancomycin for c-diff, I developed really loose stools. I never had watery or bloody diarrhea, but I did have more frequency. Now 3 days after ending vancomycin treatment, I still have loose stools, which may be 'normal'. However, after years of constipation, I really don't know what 'normal' should be for my body.

Despite all that, I gained 3 pounds while fighting c-diff and enduring treatment side effects from flagyl and following instructions to eat when I took vancomycin (which I didn't need to do). So now I want to eat less to lose that excess weight. However, I still think about eating 'enough fiber' for regularity, despite my current loose stools. I'm drinking lots of fluids so I don't get dehydrated from my 'almost' diarrhea, but I'm also rationalizing eating extra bites of fruit (when I'm not hungry), because fruit helps regularity. Yesterday I cut back on vitamin C and magnesium. That reduced the 'frequency' during the afternoon, but nothing else changed.

Many vancomycin sites warn patients to tell their docs if they have severe diarrhea which continues after they stop using vanco. I didn't HAVE diarrhea when I started using vanco. I had just the opposite problem. So I'm not anxious to get rid of my 'almost' diarrhea. Compared to constipation which causes bloating and hemorrhoids, I really don't mind loose stools, even with frequent bathroom trips. Maybe someone else would call what I have 'diarrhea', but I'm not too alarmed.

I also have more gas and a little bloating after meals. At first I was concerned. Then I remembered that those high dose probiotics cause much more gas and bloating, while the good bacteria repopulate my intestines. So I really can't assess how I'm doing until I finish the 7 day course of high dose probiotics. Those should make me more 'regular', neither diarrhea or constipation. So I just need to wait and see how I'm doing after I finish the probiotics.

No comments: