Monday, August 10, 2009

Really Bloated Today

OK, now I have true diarrhea. According to my nurse neighbor, that's a good sign which means vanco is wiping out the c-diff. However, cracks in the side of my mouth, which are a riboflavin deficiency sign, concerned me a little. I already take 50 mg of balanced B vitamins with every meal. So I suspect I'm just not absorbing B vitamins due to depleted good bacteria. So I decided to take another probiotic with breakfast to decrease the diarrhea and increase riboflavin absorption.

The bad news is that probiotics cause bloating and gas. I usually take them after dinner at night, especially when I plan to stay home (and wear baggy clothes). However the weather is cooler today. So I'm wearing jeans, which are supposed to be medium rise, but with my long torso fit me like low rise. However, my probiotic bloat creates the 'muffin top' over my jeans. LOL No matter how thin I look, I feel 'fat'. I know I'm just bloated, but that doesn't change how my inflated belly looks or how my clothes fit.

As for actual weight, I refuse to weigh until after I finish this vancomycin treatment. I was at the top of my normal 3# range when I started this drug. Then I had to eat high fat foods 4x daily to protect my stomach supposedly from vanco stomach irritation. So I won't be surprised if I gained more weight. Last night I took vanco after drinking hazelnut milk and eating some cantalope, which was not very 'high fat'. When I felt a little stomach sensitivity, I just drank more water. Then I slept just fine.

Tonight I plan to get in bed earlier, read until I'm sleepy, which should be about the time I need to take my last vanco dose, and take it with a full glass of water, but no bedtime snack or maybe just fruit. Either my stomach adjusted to the vanco 'stomach irritation' or I could have just avoided that by drinking lots of water when taking the capsule. Whatever ... I will have to deal with weight gain AFTER I finish the vanco, starting Wednesday with weigh in. Then I can resume obeying my hunger/fullness cues to eat only when I'm hungry, whatever I crave, and stop eating as soon as I feel satisfied, rather than eat high fats on a pill taking schedule.

The good news is that the cramping pain I experienced during the past 3 days has all but disappeared. I hope that means the vanco has overcome the c-diff bacteria. I can only wait and see after I stop the vanco. However, I'll also take a higher dose probiotic as soon as I finish the vanco. That probiotic may cause even more bloating during the day, although I will take it with dinner. More feeling fat ... SIGH

4 comments:

Claudi said...

Hi Sue
you wrote: However, my probiotic bloat creates the 'muffin top' over my jeans. LOL No matter how thin I look, I feel 'fat'.

I have that muffin top all the time lol hate it , the men would have a BOB < Belly over Belt > I thought that was funny when I heard it lol

hang in there , hopefully your belly will calm down soon
Love Claudia

sue said...

That's why I hate low rise jeans. Any woman who has any stomach bloat or excess weight around her middle can get the 'muffin top' look.
I resisted buying low rise jeans for years. I wore the same jeans I bought in the 80s until last year. I finally gave in and bought low cut jeans during one of those few times that my stomach wasn't bloated.

Then everytime I had stomach bloat, I wore a long, loose top to cover up the bloat. However, I KNEW I wasn't covering up anything. SIGH I wonder whether the fashion industry wants us all to look like middle aged men with their BOBs. LOL

Claudi said...

I only have low rise pants I can't stand the top of the pants cutting into my stomach when I sit down then I rather have a Muffin Top I have long legs and a short torso so high rise pants end up right under my ribs, yes the tummy ist tucked in but man it hurts to sit down lol

sue said...

I THOUGHT I had a long waist, but I realized I really just have a long torso. So my belly button is higher than most people's and even mid rise jeans hit waaay below my belly button. I know what you mean about higher rise pants cutting into your stomach. However, that only happens to me when I'm bloated or gained some extra weight.

I haven't weighed yet, but I suspect I gained a few more pounds. Now I need to lose maybe 5 pounds before we go to Maui. I hope it's just bloat, but I won't know until AFTER I take a week of high dose probiotics which cause even MORE bloating. SIGH

Nevertheless, I'm starting today with ONLY eating when I'm hungry, just enough to make the hunger go away. I'm soooo tired of eating to take medication. I found out last night I really didn't need to take those pills with food. I just needed to drink lots of water.

I wonder why that pharmacist told me to take the pills after eating high fat foods. She was quite overweight. Maybe she wanted me to gain some weight??? LOL