Saturday, July 25, 2009

Zapped by Ingredients Change

"Smile," she said, "Things could be worse." So I smiled and sure enough, things got MUCH worse. SIGH

I have taken alpha-galactosidase (enzyme) for many years to facilitate digestion of 'gassy' vegies, like brocolli, cabbage, etc., and beans. I previously took 'Beano' until I noticed it contained an ingredient which gave me reactions. It either had cane sugar or sorbitol--I forgot which. So I substituted "Excuseme" which also had the alpha-galactosidase enzyme, but only used corn syrup solids for sweetener. Recently I discovered another store carried 'excuseme' at a lower price. I bought that and kept it in my cupboard until I took the last of the old bottle. Tonight I opened up that new bottle and chewed 2 tablets. They tasted weird. I could tell they were different, because I just chewed one tablet from my previous bottle.

Then I checked the ingredients ... FIRST INGREDIENT: SORBITOL (which CAUSES gas for many people, including ME!!!!). LAST INGREDIENT: NATURAL FRENCH VANILLA (I have a diagnosed vanilla allergy which causes gut pain). I don't know why I didn't read the label when I bought that bottle. I'll certainly call the company (local) on Monday morning and ask whether they recently changed the ingredients. Why would they use an ingredient like sorbitol which causes gas and bloating for many people? That's absolutely ridiculous!!

However, I also noticed my previous (more expensive) bottle had an expiration date of 3/12. However the 'newer' (cheaper) bottle had an expiration date of 10/10. WHICH BOTTLE IS NEWER? Did they change the ingredients for my previous bottle or for the newer bottle? Whatever happened, I chewed and swallowed 2 tablets which contained sorbitol (which causes 'leaky gut' reactions) and vanilla (an IgG food allergy for me).

So now, besides suffering cramping pain, gas, bloating and nausea after every meal from an ongoing C-diff infection, I get to endure a sorbitol reaction (probaby just overnight) and a vanilla reaction (3-5 days???) OH JOY!!! Will the cramps, bloating and gas ever end? Why do I bother to eat? OH, I know ... because I get headaches if I go too long without eating. Food allergy and intolerance reactions make me feel @#$%^& if I do and @#$%^& if I don't. GRRRRRRRR!!! I wish those companies would add 'new and improved' or 'changed ingredients' to their labels. SIGH

No comments: