Monday, July 27, 2009

Good News, Bad News

I just talked to my doctor. He agreed that my symptoms are caused by recurrence of my C-diff infection. He called a prescription for flagyl into my local pharmacy. OH JOY!! 10 more days of nausea, strong metallic taste, stabbing stomach pain when I first take the drug, initially headaches and stuffy nose, and diarrhea. However, the diarrhea part is the GOOD news. LOL That side effect turned my C-diff related constipation into normal regularity. YAAAYY!! The other good news is that I never got any dangerous side effects from flagyl. I only got the unpleasant but 'keep taking this drug if you get' symptoms. So I know what to expect from flagyl.

I also talked to my doc about possibly taking vancomycin. He said we're just guessing here. Either drug could be just as effective. Although I read that many people preferred vanco, because it had fewer side effects, Vanco still causes nausea and dizziness in most people, but without the laxative effect (diarrhea), which I liked in flagyl. Maybe I'll try vanco if this round of flagyl doesn't completely eliminate my c-diff symptoms. I hate to even think that I might need a 3rd round of drug treatment. However, I've heard that c-diff is a very resistant and potentially fatal bug.

I plan to continue taking low dose probiotics (8 billion viable bacteria) while I take flagyl and then follow the flagyl treatment with a week of high dose probiotics (127 billion viable bacteria). That high dose probiotic causes a LOT of bloating and gas. However, I'm determined to endure whatever is necessary to eliminate c-diff.

2 comments:

Claudi said...

Just wipe that bugger out!!!!!

hope this round will be enough


Love Claudia

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. I sure hope this round of flagyl kills off the C-diff. However, I keep reading scare stories from people who had 3 or more rounds of treatment and STILL have c-diff. I wonder whether they took probiotics AFTER they treated with flagyl. If they don't take probiotics to repopulate the gut with good bacteria, the bad bacteria can easily take over.

Nevertheless, I'm prepared to try vancomycin, if I don't get rid of my c-diff symptoms after 10 days of flagyl. Yesterday wasn't bad, but the side effects are more intense today. Maybe it's the heat ... Seattle will get 100 degrees today.

I'm trying to stay cool and get more rest while I'm doing flagyl. Overexerting myself while I'm treating a bad bacteria seems stupid. So I'll take another nap this afternoon.