Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Record High Temperatures

Seattle is having an unusual heat wave (90-100 degrees) this week. Unfortunately those high temperatures coincide with my flagyl side effects. I don't know whether this nausea is heat related or flagyl related. As I suspected, I didn't have enough flagyl in my system to create really intense side effects. I DO NOW!!! However, I learned enough from my last round of flagyl to drink ginger tea for nausea and take the pills with hazelnut milk. Unfortunately ginger tea increases body temperature. So I need to make ginger iced tea and only drink what I need to control nausea.

Rather than take the pills in the middle of my meal and have stabbing stomach pain and metallic taste during the rest of my meal, I'll try taking them at the end. Then I'll have a spoonful of ice cream for dessert. I tried putting each pill in a spoonful of ice cream and swallowing the ice cream. However, that's like swallowing a whole chocolate chip cookie without chewing or tasting. I felt cheated. I prefer to swallow the pills with milk and then slowly savor a spoonful of ice cream.

Here we go again. I never lost the 2 pounds I gained by eating so much ice cream during my last round of flagyl. I thought people LOST weight when they took flagyl. LOL Unfortunately, I still want to eat when I feel nauseas, because eating decreases my nausea. However, I quickly learned that overeating also increases reflux and nausea. So I still have to carefully listen to my stomach cues. Fortunately I have NOT lost my hunger cues yet during this course of flagyl. Maybe that loss of appetite will come later. Despite those extra pounds, I do NOT want to lose my hunger cues. If I never feel hungry, I can easily eat for nausea and then overeat, because I don't know when I've eaten enough, other than from uncomfortable fullness.

Doubts are replacing my previously positive attitude about taking flagyl. I keep reading comments from other people who had c-diff. Some people don't eliminate the c-diff even after several courses of flagyl treatment. Others swear vancomycin is the most effective drug. I already committed to this round of flagyl. So I won't know for another couple of weeks whether flagyl eliminated the c-diff. If not, I'll request a course of vancomycin. I could still get side effects of nausea and dizziness from vanco, but I won't have to endure this awful metallic taste.

No comments: