Sunday, January 25, 2009

Treatment Side and After Effects

Last week I finished the Nystatin (antifungal) treatment for ingested moldy food. The Nystatin side effects (nausea, headaches, bloating, gas) continued during the 4 days of treatment. The day after I stopped taking Nystatin, I had nonstop headaches, which Tylenol wouldn't touch. I had planned to begin followup high dose probiotics that night, but I didn't want to endure more side effects (gas and bloating from high dose probiotics). So I waited 24 hours and began the probiotics, which had the expected side effects. Fortunately I had no more headaches or nausea ... until today ... maybe because I substituted a low dose probiotic for the high dose probiotic, to give myself a break from nightly gas and bloating and sleep more soundly.

I woke up feeling more rested this morning, but also felt nauseas within 2 hours of breakfast. So I will continue the high dose probiotic treatment tonight. At least the gas/bloating side effects mostly disappear by the next morning. I really don't know what caused the nausea. I haven't consumed alcohol for the past 9 weeks. I can only assume changing probiotics caused that symptom. I really don't know. I'll just keep on keeping on ... still hopelessly resigned to follow through with treatment, but not very optimistic about recovery. Been there, done that, been disappointed too many times before ...

No comments: