Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thrifty But Risky Food Habits

After my recent experience with eating moldy hummus and communicating with my naturopath, I realize I risk consuming bacteria and mold daily. I don't just eat condiments which have been in the refrigerator too long. Today I began to notice other questionable or even risky habits. I feel very embarrassed as I list these:

I didn't sterilize (with bleach) my cutting board until it was very stained;

I didn't clean my automatic toothbrush until the gunk and mold was noticeable;

When I removed my Invisiline retainers, I stored them in my jeans pocket;

I reused cutting knives, sometimes after rinsing off residue, sometimes not;

I often planned meals according to what foods in my fridge were oldest;

I didn't immediately refrigerate leftovers from meals (we often let cooked food sit, while we eat dinner, before preparing individual dinners for the freezer);

My hubby and I used rags to wipe kitchen spills too often before changing rags (I suspect he cares more about the enviroment than preventing contamination);

I sometimes forgot to wash my hands before preparing meals;

I believed taking HCl capsules before meals guaranteed that my stomach killed food born bacteria before those reached my intestines (my symptoms say otherwise);

I reused dental floss (not food, but still unsanitary);

I merely rinsed the apple slicer after cutting apples or pears;

I used my fingers to eat peanut butter out of the jar;

I ate out of ice cream containers, rather than serve myself a separate dish;

I served myself condiments with already used dinner utensils and contaminated the jar contents (which sometimes made brocolli bits look like mold).

That's enough embarrassment for one day. I may list more bad habits as I continue to observe how I prepare and store food.

Obviously I wrote all those in past tense. Just admitting what I did made me change many habits. Of course having to take caprylic acid, then Nystatin and finally high dose probiotics, to treat the mold/fungus reminds me to consider every food I handle and/or put into my mouth. Both the caprylic acid (supplement) and Nystatin (drug) cause side effects, which remind me that I'm treating a self-induced condition.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

You shouldn't be embarrassed. :) I am really funny now about all that stuff after my husband got some food poisoning from a local restaurant. I throw sponges out regularly and wash dish rags every couple days, and I eat leftovers in the fridge within 72 hours. He was so sick that it scared me and made me want to try to avoid having that happen due to something I do next time! I got sick almost to my stomach watching my MIL clean her counters with a REALLY old, nasty sponge. I didn't say anything, but I wanted to mention how dangerous it was...

sue said...

I think you missed my point.I'm embarrassed about how careless I used to be with food preparation and storage until I realized I ate moldy hummus 2 days ago.

I suspect that carelessness caused me to suffer from 2 different bacterial dysbiosis conditions (klebsiella oxytoca and enterobacter cloacae), 1 fungus (candida albicans) and 1 parasite (crytosporidia) during the past 5 years. Of course, having hypochloridia (low stomach acid) didn't help my stomach fend off those bacteria. Nevertheless, after treating whatever bacteria or fungus that hummus gave me, I plan to practice more sanitary food preparation and storage.

I don't keep leftovers in the fridge at all. We freeze leftovers in individual 'tv dinner' which I can microwave for a future meal. However I wasn't so good with condiments, cutting boards or any of the other things I listed.