Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Another Tachycardia Episode

Yesterday morning I took my 50mcg tablet of T4 (Levoxyl) and 5 mcg tablet of T3 (Liothyronine) at 7am. I took my last T3 (5 mcg tablet) at 4:30 pm yesterday. I took the Low Dose Naltrexone (3.0mg capsule) at 10:15pm last night. This morning at 2:10 am I awoke with serious tachycardia and felt overheated, which continued almost 2 hours before I could sleep. Because I suspected my thyroid supplements had caused overdose symptoms, I took no thyroid supplements (neither T4 nor T3) this morning. Then I checked information about my other current medications. I read on the Low Dose Naltrexone website under 'cautionary warnings': "Those patients who are taking thyroid hormone replacement for a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis with hypothyroidism ought to begin LDN at the lowest range (1.5mg for an adult). Be aware that LDN may lead to a prompt decrease in the autoimmune disorder, which then may require a rapid reduction in the dose of thyroid hormone replacement in order to avoid symptoms of hyperthyroidism."

I took liothryonine (T3) for the past four days and only experienced nausea on day 1. However, I consumed cane sugar on day 2 and experienced my usual allergy reaction (mild tachycardia). That allergy reaction (tachycardia) decreased over the next 2 days while I continued to take T3. On day 4 of taking T3 I had no tachycardia, no increased body temperature, but only slight nausea when I first took T3. Severity of that nausea decreased each day. Other than nausea, I had no reaction to T3 before 2:10am today.

I suspect my doc wants me to continue the LDN 3.0 mg dose, because increasing my white blood cell count is more important than treating hypothyroid symptoms. (Conceivably I could take all the LDN capsules back to Custom Pharmacy and ask them to divide all those capsules into smaller doses.) Nevertheless, I could also cut the T4 tablets in half and/or take only one T3 in the morning, rather than late afternoon. So my T3 level would be much lower when I take the LDN capsule before bed. This morning I sent my doc an email about what I experienced last night. I also asked her whether she wanted me to decrease my thyroid supplement while I take the LDN and what dosages of which supplements should I take to avoid hyperthyroid (tachycardia) symptoms.

I also experienced bloating and gas while taking IAG (arabinogalactan). So I asked my doc whether I could take 2 one teaspoon doses at the same time. I would prefer to take 2 teaspoons dissolved in water at night before bed, rather than during the day. So I would just have bloating/gas at night, rather than during waking hours.

The GOOD NEWS is that my cold symptoms decreased dramatically during the past 48 hours. I had suffered cold symptoms for over 3 months. After taking the low dose naltrexone and arabinogalactan for only 48 hours, I now only have a slight runny nose. I suspect that rapid recovery is due to the antiviral activity of IAG and the immune stimulation of LDN.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

Yay!! That is good news about cold symptom reduction... praying that continues and that you feel much better all around, Sue.

sue said...

Thanks, Lisa. At least I felt better cold-symptom-wise yesterday. So I know the IAG works to fight the cold viruses. However, after 2 nights w/o deep sleep, I felt worse today.

Fortunately my doc emailed me tonight and agreed that I should cut my T3 dose to only take that in the morning. Then I won't have as much thyroid hormone in my system when I take the low dose naltrexone, which interferes with thyroid meds.

Actually LDN 'interferes' in a positive way, by reducing the autoimmune process that caused my hypothyroid symptoms. So it actually treats Hashimoto's thyroiditis (as well as many other autoimmune diseases).

Since I stopped consuming gluten 6 years ago, I didn't think I could change my hypothyroid situation any more. However, LDN may improve my thyroid function enough that I need very little if any supplement after taking LDN for 3 months. We'll see ...