Monday, December 13, 2010

Decreased LDN Dose to 1.5 Mg

After a morning with a impacted stool (which eventually passed), followed by swollen, protuding, bleeding hemorrhoids (preceded by a week of intermittent bleeding hemorrhoids), I decided I needed to change something to prevent constipation. Before I started LDN (to increase white blood count) and Arabinogalactin (to fight cold viruses), I had normal regularity (neither constipation nor diarrhea) and no swollen, bleeding hemorrhoids. Since I began LDN I experienced more and more constipation and consequently more bleeding hemorrhoid problems.

I know Vitamin D can cause constipation, because it decreases the availability of magnesium to draw fluid into the stool. However, I was doing okay even with 6000IU daily of vitamin D before I started LDN. After I began LDN I had several hyperthyroid incidents. So I started lowering my thyroid dose to prevent those hyper symptoms. I also noticed that arabinogalactin dried up my cold symptoms rapidly, almost like OTC cold meds. However arabino is an herbal supplement (the source of echinechia) which fights viral infections. Nevertheless, if that dries up my cold symptoms, it might also 'dry up' my intestines. Furthermore thyroid supplements increased my motility and eliminated previous irregularity problems. So I suspected cutting my thyroid increased the possibility of constipation, even though LDN was supposed to decrease the need for thyroid supplements. If LDN improved regularity, I wouldn't have experienced increased constipation.

Sooo ... I decided to decrease my LDN dose. I didn't want to waste any of that expensive supplement. So I bought some empty capsules which were the same size as my 3.0mg LDN capsules. Then I opened each LDN containing capsule and poured half the contents into a clean capsule. So I essentially created twice as many LDN capsules, except each of those contained 1.5 mg or half my original dose. I didn't divide all those original 3.0mg capsules. I just divided enough for about 2 weeks. I'll see how I feel taking half doses for 2 weeks.

Since I took half dose of LDN I increased my daily T3 (Liothyronine) dose to a whole 5 mcg tablet. I tried taking 2/3 of that tablet in the morning and 1/3 in the late afternoon. However, that disturbed my sleep last night (I was hyper and woke up several times). So I just took a whole 5 mcg T3 this morning and none this afternoon. I feel more tired as the day goes on. So I should sleep soundly tonight, especially because my 1/2 dose of LDN won't wake me up.

Again, trial and error, but I'm changing my meds based on my body symptoms. My doc would do exactly the same thing, but I don't want to wait 2 days for her to reply to my email and/or phone call to tell me to do what I know how to do. (She already told me to try dividing my LDN dose, but didn't mention increasing the thyroid.) I've had no constipation today, but I will suffer swollen hemorrhoids for awhile until they heal. Meanwhile I can help that healing with daily sitzbaths of very warm water. That's both soothing and healing.

4 comments:

xShelbyx said...

Kudos to you for taking charge of your own health and listening to what your body needs! Being intuitive to our body is an instinct many of us have lost, unfortunately. I also commend u for all the research u do in order to understand your condition and to be better able to advocate for yourself, instead of simply being at the mercy of (often ignorant) doctors. I have high hopes that you will find balance and true healing soon!

Keep your head held high.... you are certainly an inspiration to me!

sue said...

Thanks, Shelby. Decreasing my Vitamin D and Arabinogalactin yesterday improved my regularity. However, I got cold symptoms late last night. So I took the AG this morning with my 5mcg T3 and probiotic. Not sure if I'll continue 4000UI D3 or return to recommended 6000IU. Also taking some extra vitamin C and magnesium helped.

Not sure if increasing my T3 helped. I noticed an energy drop at the end of the day and I slept pretty well, despite being woken by a strong wind/rain storm blowing our Christmas decorations around our porch. I may add an afternoon half T3 dose (2.5 mg) if I continue to sleep well.

Still coping with painful, bleeding hemorrhoids. Only regularity, sitzbaths and time will heal those.

xShelbyx said...

How much Vitamin C are u taking and when do u take this? If I remember correctly, u take 300mg Mag 3x/day with meals, right?

Have u thought about drinking 1-2oz of Aloe at night? That'll not only help with regularity, but will also heal the internal tissue of your GI tract (and your hemorroids).

sue said...

I usually take 500mg vitamin C with each meal, but I added another 250mg daily when I cut back my vitamin D (from 6000 to 4000IU) to cope with constipation.

I considered Aloe awhile back, but I'm doing well with L-glutamine to heal my intestines and sitzbaths to heal hemorrhoids. I no longer have irregularity problems. I've had very soft stools for the past 4days, ever since I lowered my LDN and increased my thyroid back to 5mcg of T3 in the morning. For the past 2 days I've tried a late afternoon 2 mcg of T3. That gives me afternoon energy, but doesn't keep me awake at night. I slept through the night last night for the first time in awhile. 1.5mg of LDN seems just right. I no longer have cold symptoms, but I sleep well now.

As for adding another treatment (aloe), I prefer to limit my treatments. If one treatment does the job, I don't want to add anything else. I also prefer to eat food, rather than take a lot of supplements. Taking HCl allows me to eat so many more kinds of nutritious foods (and absorb the nutrients). So I just don't take certain vitamins and minerals.