Friday, December 3, 2010

Back on T3 and T4

After 2 days of abstaining from my thyroid supplements (levoxyl and liothyronine) to avoid tachycardia (caused by interaction between thyroid supplements and low dose naltrexone), I finally heard from my doc, whom I told about my recent tachycardia incident. She suggested that I take my regular dose (5 mcg) of T3 (liothyronine) in the morning with my regular dose (50 mcg) of t4 (levoxyl), but not take the second 5mcg dose of T3 in the late afternoon. She also agreed that I could take both doses of IAG (arabinogalactan) before bed to limit the gas and bloating to nighttime only.

However, I decided to take half doses of both my T3 and T4 this morning. So I cut the T4 pill in half and took that with the regular 5 mcg T3 dose. I feel warmer this morning, but don't have really obvious tachycardia. So far, so good. If I have no intense tachycardia tonight, I'll take the other half of T4 tomorrow morning and see how I do. If I still don't get tachycardia during the night (after taking the LED which can cause hyperthyroid symptoms) after 2 days of half doses of T4, I'll try a whole T4 dose. By then I will have taken LED for a week and the sleep disturbance side effect should disappear. So I might just sleep through slight tachycardia ... or not. SIGH

Yesterday (before I heard from my doc) I planned to take the arabinogalactan (to fight my respiratory infection) only before bed. However, my cold symptoms returned a few hours after I got up. I decided I'd rather endure gas and bloating than sore throat, cough and runny nose all day. So I took the IAG after breakfast yesterday. Today I took the IAG with my prebreakfast doses of thyroid supplements and probiotics. I'm bloated and a little crampy from the gas, but I have no cold symptoms now. I'll try again tomorrow morning to skip the morning dose and take both IAG doses before bed. Maybe by then IAG will have killed off my cold viruses ... or not.

My doc prescribed 8 weeks of IAG. I HOPE I don't have to take full strength IAG that long to get rid of this cold, which I've already had for 3 months. Enough already! I no longer feel sick and tired, but I don't want to depend on IAG for another 7 weeks. However, I did read that the gas/bloating side effects of IAG should disappear after a week. I noticed that with another FOS containing product (probiotic), which I took after my last gut bug treatment. Maybe I'll get lucky and continue taking IAG without getting gas and bloating. After this struggle, I deserve a break from side effects.

No comments: