Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Soup and Brownies

In honor of Halloween I made an orange soup for dinner (with brownies for dessert). In the spirit of this holiday I will take a break from reporting my health challenges to describe how I cook creatively with 13 food allergy restrictions (my 7 and my husband's 9 with 3 shared allergies). Here's my recipe (which I created just for Halloween):

PUMPKIN/BUTTERNUT SQUASH HALLOWEEN SOUP

Cook in large soup pot with 1/2-1 quart (as needed) Imagine Chicken broth:

1 larged chopped onion
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups sliced/chopped celery

Add 1 quart pumpkin puree (saved, blended and frozen from last year's pumpkin).

While the vegies and puree are simmering (stir regularly), add:

1 gallon bag or one large bunch of chopped, fresh Kale (I used green Kale from our garden);

1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon sage, 2 teaspoons tumeric, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 teaspoon cloves (or cardamom), 1 teaspoon onion salt;

Cook till kale is tender, then add 1 quart of Imagine Butternut Squash soup (gluten, dairy, soy, cane sugar, vanilla, nutmeg free). Simmer 10 minutes stirring regularly until soup thickens. Then add:

3 - 5oz cans white meat chicken, flaked (so there are uniformly sized pieces);

Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes and serve. (Simmer longer for thicker soup.)

My husband rated this soup a 'Hall of Fame' recipe. This recipe made 10 servings (my husband had a second bowl and we froze 7 individual 'petit pan' servings for future meals.) We were both too full for more than a sliver of the brownies I made for dessert. If anyone is interested I'll post the exact amounts of ingredients for this recipe for the Black bean brownies, which are also gluten, dairy, egg, soy, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. I recall the ingredients included (but would need to look up exact amounts):

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES (w/o amounts of ingredients)

Mix together: Dutch cocoa, quinoa flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, stevia, chopped cashews

Blend for 3 minutes: 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed), Spectrum naturals shortening, Agave

Add blended wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Pour into glass 9x9 pan lined with parchment paper sprayed with outdoor grilling Pam (doesn't contain soy lecithin). Bake 325 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool before removing from pan.

(These brownies are very 'fudgey' with a dark chocolate flavor.)

No comments: