Friday, October 29, 2010

Resumed 50mcg Levoxyl

Although my doc recommended I resume taking Levoxyl at the 50mcg dose yesterday, I still had tachycardia and mild chest discomfort the previous night. So I also abstained from Levoxyl yesterday. Because I had no palpitations or discomfort yesterday, even when walking updhill, I decided to resume taking 50mcg this morning. I now have slight palpitations and feel comfortably warm.

I also had cold symptoms yesterday and felt cold all day. So I took extra vitamin D at lunch, which decreased my cold symptoms. After taking 6000IU of vitamin D yesterday and sound sleep last night, I have no cold symptoms today. However, I suspect both low levels of vitamin D and less thyroid made me susceptible to respiratory infection. Now that I know what causes my vulnerability, I can easily take more Vitamin D when I experience mild cold symptoms and back off when I feel well and get consistently sound sleep for awhile.

I still have one extra 'half' of the 50mcg tablets. I may take that tomorrow morning if I continue to experience tachycardia tonight, rather than taking another 50mcg tablet. Continued tachycardia would suggest that my blood volume of Levoxyl is still too high. So taking a 25-30mcg portion of Levoxyl will decrease my blood level of Levoxyl to return to 50mcg level.

Getting the perfect dose of Levoxyl is rather challenging. I suspect I would have gradually experienced less hypothyroid symptoms, if I would have just continued the 50mcg dose for another few weeks. However, I became impatient after seeing little improvement after 4-1/2 weeks. So according to my doc's recommendation, I increased the dose to 75mcg. Within 3 days I had overdose symptoms. So I now believe that 50mcg would have been enough if I just waited longer, because 75mcg was too much.

Experiencing intermittent constipation related to taking vitamin D supplements made me wonder whether 50mcg of Levoxyl would actually resolve my regularity problem. However, after taking 75mcg for 3 days I had diarrhea, which was the other extreme of my problem. So hopefully balancing the vitamin D with enough magnesium and continuing the 50mgc dose of Levoxyl will resolve my regularity problem.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

Vitamin D is a wonder, isn't it?? :) I'm taking 3-5K mg a day right now... since I was low and now my levels should be about right and I want to maintain them in fall. I also read that very heavy people should take in that range in 'The Vitamin D Solution.'

Sounds like the thyroid meds are a delicate balance. Hopefully the lower dosage will work for you...

sue said...

I also read that book, which told me that Vitamin D helps create the body's antimicrobial proteins. Without those all the antibiotics in the world can't fight infections. That certainly helped explain why I kept getting one gut bug after another. Now I can shake cold symptoms overnight by increasing my vitamin D. However, I have to also increase magnesium to avoid constipation. Another delicate balance ... SIGH