Monday, October 18, 2010

Levoxyl OD Symptoms

After 4 daily doses of 75+ mcg of Levoxyl, this morning I developed obvious overdose symptoms, including diarrhea, abdominal cramping pain, rapid heart beat, difficulty breathing and chest pain. I welcomed the diarrhea after weeks of intermittent constipation and hemorrhoid pain. However diarrhea also exacerbated my hemorrhoids. Then when I walked uphill I began to experience tachycardia, breathing difficulty and chest pain. I'm not overweight and have never experienced chest pain with breathing difficulty. So I immediately realized I had Levoxyl overdose symptoms.

I understand how I developed those symptoms. After my doc advised me to increase my 50mcg dose to 75mcg daily, I cut 4 of my 50 mcg tablets in half. However some of those didn't split exactly in half. The first day I took one of the more perfect halves for an additional 25 mcg plus my regular 50mcg tablet (or a 75 mcg total). However, the next two days I took the larger halves of pills which split unevenly. After not noticing much difference with an exactly 75mcg dose, I decided to see if just a bit more caused any symptoms. Obviously my overdose symptoms told me I'd taken more than I needed for 2 days. This morning I took a more evenly split half for closer to 75mcg. However the effect of Levoxyl is cumulative. So my Levoxyl overdose symptoms didn't manifest until today.

So tomorrow morning I plan to take one of the smallest 'crumbs' from the uneven splits for a total of less than 75 mcg, unless I get more symptoms tonight, like insomnia. If I still have OD symptoms tomorrow morning, I'll cut back to my original 50mdg dose to reduce the total accumulation of Levoxyl in my body. Then I will return to 75mcg or less again. If I experience more OD symptoms, I'll tell my doc that 75mcg is too much.

THE NEXT DAY: As planned I took the smallest part of the split pills with my regular 50mcg Levoxyl tablet. I have no symptoms today ... no diarrhea, no rapid heartbeat (after that symptom made sleep difficult last night), no pain. I hope this means I can resume taking exact 75 mcg doses and experience some benefits (like normal regularity, warmer body temp and energy), rather than overdose symptoms.

No comments: