Thursday, October 14, 2010

Increase Levoxyl

After 4-1/2 weeks on Levoxyl (T4 thyroid supplement), I still didn't notice any marked improvement in energy, body heat, but mostly regularity. In fact I've gotten more constipated while taking high dose probiotics with FOS, which I thought would increase intestinal motility. So last night I emailed my doc and asked her when I should expect decreased symptoms, because I haven't improved at this point.

My doc told me today to increase my Levoxyl dosage from 50 mcg to 75 mcg daily. Since I already filled my prescription this month for the 50 mcg dosage, I had to cut some of those pills in half to take 75 mcg each day. I hope that helps. I'm really tired of irregularity despite high dose probiotcs, magnesium, high fiber diet, mucho fluids and absolutely no bad gut bugs to cause constipation. I also decided to cut vitamin D back to 2000 IU daily (from a previous 6000 IU daily when I had a bad cold). Vitamin D uses the magnesium, which could decrease the amount available to affect regularity.

My doc also asked me to tell her how I'm doing early next week. That request makes me wonder whether that extra 25 mcg will make an obvious difference after 4 days. If not, then we may need to test my free T3, which was not tested. Some people have difficulty converting T4 to T3. So supplementary T4 doesn't resolve symptoms. They actually need a T3 supplement. or a combination T3/T4 supplement. I should know after 4-7 days whether 75 mcg of Levoxyl is enough to resolve my symptoms.

No comments: