Friday, November 5, 2010

CBCs and Thyroid Function Retests

After reminding my naturopathic doc that I need signed order to get blood tests at my local HMO clinic, I received her order for the following tests:

CBC
TSH
FT4
T3
FT3
TAB
TPOAb

I need to recheck my CBCs, because my previous test showed low WBC (white blood count) and low MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration). I suspect those have increased after eating high iron content foods for 2 months and recovering from that parasitic infection which can cause low WBC.

After taking a T4 thyroid supplement for almost 2 months, I want to know whether that changed my TSH and free T4 scores. I requested some T3 tests because I'm not doing as well as I expected with a T4 supplement. (50mcg wasn't enough to resolve all my symptoms, but 75mcg was too much and caused hyperthroid symptoms.) So my doc ordered the free T3 and total T3. Those should tell her whether I have difficulty converting T4 to T3. If so, I may also need a T3 supplement.

The TAB (antithyroglobulin antibody?) and TPOAb (thyroid peroxidase antibody) tests look for antibodies which cause Hashimoto's thyroiditis. That autoimmune condition is linked to gluten intolerance and celiac disease. I suspect those tests will be negative because I strictly followed a gluten free diet for 6 years. So I may not have any thyroid antibodies. However, my failure to improve (esp. regularity and immunity), while taking a T4 supplement, made me wonder if I have something else going on (like Hashimoto's or T3 deficiency).

I plan to get those tests done next week. However, I'll request a lab tech who doesn't usually puncture veins when drawing blood. I'll especially decline a blood draw from the person who punctured 2 of my veins in September. I had a large bruise for over a month and sensitivity (throbbing pain) in those veins for almost 2 months.

No comments: