Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Still Have Overdose Symptoms

After another night of tachycardia making sleep difficult, I decided to totally abstain from Levoxyl until my cardiac related symptoms of Levoxyl overdose disappeared. Feeling my heart beating so hard (and fast) that I can't sleep is scarey to say the least. I had intermittent mild chest pain today along with tachycardia. However, that seemed to decrease as the day passed. I'll know whether I still have tachycardia after I go to bed.

Meanwhile my doc never replied to my email. That's perplexing, because she initially told me to tell her how I was doing after a few days. However, I thought my initial overdose reaction was due to taking more than 75mcg daily, when I took the larger tablet halves with the regular tablets. I believed taking a bit less would even out the total amount in my body. I didn't realize that continuing to take less than 75mcg would increase the levoxyl to the point that I would have nonstop overdose symptoms.

After not hearing from my doc by late this afternoon, I called to leave a voicemail message with her assistant. I told her that I had stopped taking Levoxyl because I had pretty obvious overdose symptoms. I also said I won't resume taking Levoxyl until I was certain I no longer had cardiac related symptoms (tachycardia, chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc.).

24 HOURS LATER: My doc's assistant called me tonight. She relayed my message to my doc who said I should stay on the 50mcg dose. She also told me to resume taking that tomorrow. I suspect her assistant didn't clearly understand my message. I experienced 72 hours of scary tachycardia and chest pain. The first night I hardly slept at all. The second night I feared I would die in my sleep from a heart attack. Last night I took awhile getting to sleep, but slept soundly thereafter. I still had obvious tachycardia today even while sitting still. My heart sped up even more during exercise for the past week. At least I didn't have trouble breathing while walking today. So perhaps the hyperthyroid symptoms from Levoxyl overdose are decreasing now.

Nevertheless, I read that Levoxyl leaves the body very slowly. When I stop taking Levoxyl, it reaches its halflife (half as much thyroid supplement) after a week of not taking that drug. At 75mcg I overdosed. At 50 mcg I had few side effects. So I need to reduce the level of Levoxyl in my blood by 1/3. I suspect that will take 4-5 days of not taking any Levoxyl. I took nothing for the past 2 days after taking 50mcg the previous day. So I'll abstain from Levoxyl 2 more days and pay close attention to my cardiac symptoms (esp. tachycardia and chest pain). If those symptoms disappear after 2 more days I'll try taking 25mcg (one of the 50mcg splits). If I don't react strongly to that, I'll resume taking 50mcg on day 6. I'll also call my doc's assistant to reiterate how seriously I experienced overdose symptoms during the last week I took 75mcg daily. I certainly won't resume taking 50mcg tomorrow, while I still have tachycardia.

No comments: