Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Latest Stool Test Results

I received my Metametrix Lab DNA Microbial Ecology stool test results yesterday. The good news is I have NO NEW GUT BUGS!! The bad news is I STILL have that "parasite taxonomy unavailable". The results also said: A taxonomy unavailable finding likely indicates an ingested protozoan and not a human parasite. It does not indicate treatment unless patient symptoms and other inflammatory markers are consistent with parasitic infection." My 2006 test results explained 'taxonomy unavailable' as: "Glfx will detect DNA from all commonly reported organisms in microscopic parasitology. In addition, any dNA present from yeast/fungi or protozoa will also be detected. These are reported as positive, taxonomy unavailable."

That 'taxonomy unavailable' (TU) bug first appeared in my May 2009 test results (along with my C-diff diagnosis.) At that time my ND dismissed the TU bug as 'probably something I ate before the test. However, that TU parasite result continued to appear on every stool test since May 2009 (1/10, 5/10 and 9/10). If the TU bug really came from something I accidentally consumed, I would have to continue eating those bugs since May 2009. Obviously I need to ask my current doc about that TU bug.

I'm also concerned about my low levels of facultative anaerobes (good bacteria). My lactobaccillus and bifidobacter levels are much lower than they were in January of this year. Granted, I took antiparasitic drugs for almost 3 months to kill the D-frag parasite. However I also took probiotics during and after each drug treatment. Nevertheless, I did begin taking a new probiotic during and after my last drug treatment. I thought that probiotic would be better absorbed and more effective. It had 50 live cells per capsule, which I took on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and just before bed.

However, my good bacteria levels were higher when I was taking a different probiotic (with FOS, which causes bloating and gas) just before meals. I'm really confused now. So yesterday I purchased another 7 day probiotic (with FOS) treatment with the product I previously took. I also called their company to ask why they suggested I take that probiotic before meals, rather than when I first get up (at least 30-60 minutes before meals). They explained that food helps neutralize stomach acid. So less of the good bacteria are destroyed by stomach acid. That's logical.

Nevertheless, I already have low stomach acid and must take acid supplements at the beginning of meals. If those acid supplements destroyed the probiotics, my previous test results for lactobacillus and bifidobacter should have been lower. Instead my most recent results were low. Also those results came from a stool test taken a month after I ended antiparasitic treatment. Other tests were taken several months after treatments had ended. So maybe my current good bacteria levels are higher than they were when I took that latest test.

I have an appointment for a phone consultation with my naturopath. I hope she knows more about those TU bugs and why my good bacteria levels were so low. I also intend to ask her when she wants me to retest my blood levels for vitamin D, CBC (which includes white blood cells and mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration), TSH and Free T4. Although I've felt slightly warmer and more energetic (possibly due to less anemia and recovering from a badcold), I haven't noticed obvious improvement from thyroid supplementation. Fortunately, I no longer have irregularity. However, I do have more cramping abdominal pain. I wonder if the TU critter is causing my abdominal cramping pain??

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a little curious: Have you ever tried "Xifaxan" for your parasites and/or C Diff (It's definitely :OFF LABEL" for C Diff. But some of the other prescribers here are trying it. The one script I wrote for it was denied by the insurance company. So I have little to no experience with it. It might be worth a try,,,?

sue said...

No I haven't tried Xifaxan, because I successfully eliminated C-diff, cryptosporidia and dientamoeba fragilis. I used tapered and pulse dose treatment with vancomycin to eliminate c-diff in 2009. I eliminated crypto with nitazoxanide in 2008. This year I eliminated dientamoeba fragils with iodoquinol. My last 5 stool tests were free of crypto. The last 4 were free of c-diff and crypto. My most recent test had no new (or old) gut bugs. So none of those bugs returned after treatment.

Is Xifaxan the same drug as Rifaximin? If so, a friend who also has a history of parasites and bacteria is using rifaximin to treat Klebsiella and Enterobacter Cloacae. I used caprylic acid to eliminate those bacteria in 2006 and 2008 respectively.

BTW as you can read in 'latest stool test results', my string of chronic gut bug infections finally ended after I found a doc who wanted to treat the source of my vulnerability to infections, rather than just throw drugs at my gut bugs.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I saw yoru post about the nystatin back in 08 i believe where you only had side effects. Did it at least help in getting rid of your yeast if you had a stool test showing you had yeast present?

sue said...

Yes, my 2008 Metametrix stool test showed +1 candida, which was sensitive to (killed by) Nystatin and several botanical agents. I took Nystatin for 2 months. My only side effects were slight nausea for a few days when I began treatment. Then I didn't notice any more side effects during the next 2 months of treatment. I followed that treatment with high dose probiotics (which I continue to take now). My next 4 stool tests over the past 2 years have been free of candida. So YES, NYSTATIN ELIMINATED MY CANDIDA YEAST OVERGROWTH.