Monday, January 25, 2010

Very Sick But Still Hopeful

I'm so glad I talked to my doctor in person, rather than exchanging emails about treating my newly diagnosed Achromobacter infection. I had soooo many questions about that bug, like why I acquired it, how achromobacter could give me symptoms which are similar to my c-diff symptoms, how I can treat achromobacter without getting a c-diff recurrence, how can I trust that caprylic acid (my chosen botanical treatment) won't give me a c-diff recurrence, etc., etc. I booked a short (10-15 minute) consult and ended up needing 30 minutes to feel reassured that I will recover from that new bug.

Maybe because c-diff was such a long nightmarish infection, with 7? recurrences, I began to believe that I cannot quickly recover from achromobacter. However, my doc's answers to my questions helped me understand what I now have and how I can eliminate it. I want to forget that I blindly trusted him when he first gave me flagyl to treat c-diff. LOL

I took my first caprylic acid dose plus probiotics tonight with dinner. Amazingly I immediately lost that chronic 'fecal urgency' or the 'I have to go all the time' feeling. However, I still had intense stomach and intestinal pain. I suspect I'll need to take CA for a few days to kill enough bacteria to decrease the pain. However, I now understand how this bacteria causes similar, but also different painful symptoms than c-diff caused. So I'm confident I'm experiencing (and treating) a different bacteria.

Although I keep thinking "Here I go AGAIN with yet another gut bug and yet another treatment period", I finally successfully eliminated c-diff. Hopefully I can eradicate achromobacter during a 2 week course of caprylic acid. However, I have enough CA and probiotics to continue for 3 weeks and/or taper treatment if I'm uncertain.

I wish that DNA Microbial testing lab gave 'frequent flier' miles to people who purchase multiple tests from them. I mean after 3 tests, I should get some kind of discount or be allowed to buy tests at the 'bulk rate'. LOL Oh well, maybe I'll recover from achromobacter and actually feel well for awhile. I can always hope, despite my history with gut bugs.

No comments: