Friday, January 15, 2010

Designated Issues

I recently discovered a thought provoking article entitled "What's Wrong With This Picture?" by Martha Beck in my October 2009 O Magazine. I usually review old issues before giving them away. However, that article totally changed my perspective about 'eating issues'. So I want to share what the author said and then describe my insights (in my next post).

Ms. Beck says "designated issues aren't just problems; they're also solutions. Like toxic-waste receptacles, they serve the useful function of containing some nasty, scary material. Your so-called worst problem may be sparing you even greater distress." She then describes several women who have problems with weight or finances or depression. Then the author states: "from the outside, it's obvious these women were using their 'worst' problems as distractions from much worse ones. Yet each (women) claimed, "If I could only fix this one thing, I'd be so happy!'

The author then lists "certain characteristics (which) distinquish these issues from everyday problems:

(1) Designated issues command inordinate mindshare. With ordinary challenges, we can relax our attention after taking reasonable action. However, if we obsess about a problem, which our efforts don't resolve, we may have a 'designated issue'. Consciously we want to get rid of the problem. Subconsciously we need that problem.

(2) Designated issues dodge permanent solutions. No matter what we try, we continue to struggle with that problem.

(3) Designated issues synchronize with seemingly unrelated events. The problem seems to escalate or worsen during certain situations or events. Actually the 'designated issue' helps us contain our worries about those other situations or events.

I'll describe in more detail how those ideas about designated issues relate to one of my 'ongoing problems' in my next post. However, I want to first describe the author's suggestions for identifying and dealing with those seemingly unrelated situations which may scare us more than our 'designated issue'. Here's her suggested process:

Sit down in a peaceful space. Vividly imagine that your designated issue is gone. You don't even remember having it. Now ask yourself, "Now that I've fixed that, what problems do I still have to face?" Then choose one of those problems and take at least one step toward resolving it. After taking that step, go back to obsessing about your designated issue.

That last suggestion may sound ridiculous, unless we realize that we need our designated issues to spare us worry about the other problems. However, the author then advises that we 'repeat the process outlined ... and you will find your designated issue getting smaller, lighter, less compulseive ... If you have a designated issue, addressing other problems will eventually make it (designated issue) dry up and blow away."

Martha Beck's analysis and suggestions for dealing with designated problems totally oppose my direct (name it, claim it, resolve it) approach to dealing with problems. However, her definition of 'designated problems' and suggested resolution process questions pointed to my longterm eating issue, especially after I binged once last week and 'almost' binged again this week, after 9+ months of abstaining from bingeing. I'll describe what Martha Beck's article taught me about my 'eating problem' in my next post.

No comments: