Friday, January 29, 2010

Feeling Better Each Day

I seem to have adjusted to caprylic acid after 3 days. No more headache, nausea or cramping gut pain. Likewise caprylic acid eliminated my longterm diarrhea after only one dose. I finally have 'normal' regularity (2x, rather than 6x daily). However, I still wake up with cramping, gas pains, maybe bacause I take probiotics with dinner. Nevertheless, I prefer feeling bloated after dinner and early morning to taking smaller doses of probiotics during the day, which make me bloated all day long. Great choice! LOL

In my last post I considered taking smaller amounts of caprylic acid spread through the day to decrease the side effects. However, I changed my mind and decided to stick with 2 capsules 2x a day. Then I noticed that my doc had prescribed 2 CA capsules 3x a day when I treated 2 previous bacerial infections. After my experience with his not aggressively treating C-diff (which influenced my multiple recurrences from c-diff spores), I wondered why he had not prescribed more CA to treat achromobacter. So I called his office to inquire about the lesser amount of CA. He reassured me that the current bacteria can be treated with a lesser dose.

All that 'could' be good news, but I haven't emotionally recovered from my 9
month c-diff nightmare. So I can hardly believe I will ever be completely well
again. Nevertheless, I feel better today with no medication side effects and
much less symptoms of the achromobacter infection.

I did have a little pity party after I received my latest diagnosis. After all I've had one gut infection after another since 2006 (klebsiella and enterobacter cloacae bacteria, cryptosporidium parasite, candida fungus, clostridium difficile bacteria, and now this new character 'achromobacter'). I can understand how I contracted those other 'bugs', but achromobacter is rather rare, although usually nosocomial (you get it in hospitals). So I might have gotten it from the Lahaina clinic where I got my vancomycin for c-diff. Still I think "ENOUGH ALREADY". I just want to be well for a few years.

6 comments:

Lori said...

I am glad I found your blog. Did you have achromobacter in your sinuses? I had pseudomonas twice, and now achromobacter. I'm receiving PICC line intravenous Primaxin. I'm on my second week. I have such sinus pressure and the postnasal drainage I get sometimes is like plaster. My throat and chest are so tight from constant drainage and throat clearing. How are you doing? How long did it take you to feel better? Any help you can offer would be awesome!
Lori

sue said...

No, I had achromobacter in my intestines. All my infections (bacterial, parasitic and yeast) were intestinal infections, diagnosed by stool test.

You replied to a 2 year old post. After I recovered from achromobacter using caprylic acid (herbal coconut oil based drug), I took another stool test which revealed I had H. Pylori and Dientamoeba fragilis, but no more achromobacter. At that point I was ready to look for another doctor (ND). I had suffered through 4 years of 8 different gastrointestinal infections. That ND just ignored the H. Pylori, even though I told him I had burning stomach pain (consistent with HP). He then prescribed Alinia for D-frag (a parasite). Alinia is not recommended for D-frag, but my doc liked it. I took Alinia for the prescribed period, but still had D-frag symptoms. Then he tried another drug, which still didn't eliminate the D-frag. So I asked another doc to figure out why I kept getting gastro infections. First she prescribed Iodoquinol, which killed off the D-frag. Then she gave me all kinds of blood tests and a stomach acid production test.

Low stomach acid explained why I kept getting food born bacteria and parasites in my intestines. Low Vitamin D, low thyroid, and low white blood cells (caused by a few of my stronger antibiotics) explained my low immunity. (I also got frequent colds.)

I'm now doing well, but still trying to adjust my thyroid supplement dosage. (Read my latest blog post for more details.)

I used to get many sinus infections BEFORE I was diagnosed with IgA mediated (delayed reaction) dairy/casein allergy. Since I eliminated dairy products from my diet I haven't had one sinus infection. When I was getting frequent colds, while my immunity (white blood cells) was low, I never got symptoms of sinus infections (absolutely no congestion or thick mucus).

I suggest you abstain from all dairy products to see whether that might cause your sinus vulnerability. There are many great substitutes for milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream. I've been dairy free for 8 years and don't miss it (or the sinus infections) at all.

Lori said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad you are doing better. I'm almost done two weeks of IV antibiotics, waiting for a new culture of my sinuses to come back. I don't feel near as good as I thought I would be now. I saw this was old, but I'm trying to find anyone who has come out the other side of this awful infection and can give me some info. Thanks so much!

sue said...

Hi Lori:
I hope you're taking (or will take after finishing the antibiotic course) a high dose probiotic. I'm currently taking a capsule with 50 billion live cells each night. After my 4 years of antibiotics, parasitic and antifungal drugs, I took 2 capsules or 100 billion live cells daily to compensate for all the damage to my normal gut flora done by the antibiotics, etc. Depending on the specific antibiotic and length of treatment, you may be vulnerable to some nasty gut bugs, because antibiotics destroy everything, not just the bad bugs.
SUE

Unknown said...

Hi all,

For chronic sinus of any etiology, ie - virus, fungal, bacterial, find a doctor that can do nasal insuflation & ear insuflation of Ozone gas (must be humidified).
May require 2 treatments/week x 2-6 weeks.Should have a lasting result.

sue said...

Your suggestions may treat the symptoms of chronic sinus infections. However, I don't think those infections are caused by a deficiency of those treatments.

Unfortunately you replied to a 3 year old post. For the past year I've had no sinus infections or colds. Rather than treating the symptoms, I strengthened my challenged immunity, which previously made me vulnerable to respiratory (and gastrointestina) infections. Thyroid supplements (for hypothyroidism), vitamin D, DHEA all dramatically improved my immunity. So I no longer get respiratory infections. Also I've been dairy free for about 10 years.