Friday, January 22, 2010

Still Waiting ...

This morning I called my doc's office to verify whether they had received my DNA Microbial Stool Test results (which will tell me whether I still have c-diff). The receptionist said that she emailed the results (by email with attachment) at 9:40am this morning. An hour later I still had not received that email. 2 hours later I asked her to send the results with a black/white attachment, which might not take so long. 2+ hours later I still had not received any emails from my doc's office. So I asked his receptionist to snail mail me a paper copy of the results. I probably won't get those until Monday afternoon. At 4:30pm I again called my doc's office and asked the receptionist to try emailing me the test results again before she left.

So when/if I ever get any of her emails, I'll know for sure what 'bugs' were in my 'sample' on January 4 (almost 3 weeks ago now). That's the problem with those tests. If I'm really sick, I get even sicker (as with c-diff) by the time I finally get the results and ask my doc for his 'treatment' recommendation. I suspect I had c-diff last March, because I had symptoms then. However, my doc dismissed my symptoms as 'stress' and recommended I see an accupuncturist. Nevertheless, I persisted and requested that DNA test, but I began to doubt my intuition and delayed picking up the test for a few weeks.

I finally did that test in early May and didn't get the results until the end of May. So I didn't start treatment until June. 7 months later, I retested, because I'm tired of guessing whether I still have c-diff symptoms. Now knowing that the results are available, but I can't see them seems worse than not knowing when the lab will mail the results to my doc. BTW my doc's assistant isn't allowed to read my results and my doc is out of the office today. GRRRRR!

No comments: