Saturday, January 16, 2010

Short Pulse Dose Cycles

I talked to my husband today about my c-diff fears. So much depends on my naturopath's reaction to my test results. Of course, I assume those results will be positive. I felt pretty sick by the time I did the sample, which I shipped to the lab. I'll be very surprised if I get a negative (for c-diff) result. So I'll email my naturopath doc early next week about my recent treatment history and the imminent arrival of my DNA microbial test results.

I also counted my remaining vanco capsules and realized I could take one every 3rd day and still have enough for 10 weeks of pulse dose treatment. That reassures me a bit. If my doc refuses to renew my vanco prescription or if my test results are delayed, I'll still be covered for awhile. So I plan to take a vanco every 3rd or 4th day to prevent full-blown recurrence by killing off recently morphed bacteria (from spores).

I felt pretty well (no c-diff symptoms) when I did the every 3rd day pulse dose for 2weeks awhile back. When I tried to extend the pulse period longer than 3 days, I began to experience more symptoms. Then I read more online recurrent c-diff treatment articles which suggested using higher doses with longer pulse periods. So when I experienced obvious symptoms after 5-6 days without vanco, I took a higher dose on the treatment day. That seemed to work well. However, in order to take the DNA microbial test, I went off vanco for 8 days, longer than any previous period. On the day I did the test, I had obvious cramping pain, nausea, headache and fatigue, which made me certain that the test will show positive c-diff.

Most recently, I began to experience nonstop cramping intestinal pain after only 5 days. That intense pain did not diminish until I took 3 vanco to treat the bacteria. I followed that with high dose probiotics. However, I learned that I can't wait that long between pulse doses. So I will return to the every 3rd day cycle, which requires only one vanco to kill c-diff bacteria.

No comments: