Monday, February 23, 2009

Update on Mg Citrate and Aspartame

Magnesium citrate is more easily absorbed than the Magnesium Aspartate with Potassium (and Taurate), which I took for several years. I don't have nearly the level gas and bloating which I experienced with the Mg Aspartate. I can't tell if Mg citrate works more efficiently, because I also have a cold which can decrease vitamin C which affects regularity. However, I also realize I won't know how Mg citrate works long term for another week or so. (EVERYTHING seems to help initially. SIGH) I'm surprised (and embarassed) to learn that the magnesium supplement I had taken had caused so much gas and bloating. Nevertheless, Mg citrate causes more cramping pain and nausea, at least initially ... so typical for 'treatments'. Fortunately I can drink ginger tea, which relieves nausea as well as symptoms from the cold my husband shared with me. Now I just need to endure the Mg Citrate side effects for awhile to see whether my body adjusts, or maybe I could take less to avoid cramps, or whether the affect on regularity is worth the side effects.

Meanwhile I still await a reply from my naturopath about aspartame's affect on magnesium. Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks of abstinence from aspartame. The most obvious effect of abstinence was less headaches (before I caught a cold) and more stable blood sugar (so I feel hungry, not shakey, when I need food).

No comments: