Monday, February 16, 2009

"Normal" Comfort Eating

I've been having another pity party, as I hinted in my last 'good/bad news' post. I felt physically crappy, which often affects my mood and outlook on life. (No, I won't use that overused term 'depressed', because I CAN still function.) Worrying about what causes chronic bloating and intestinal cramping pain can influence what I choose to eat: Should I eat more fiber? Drink more water? Eat smaller meals? Eat larger meals? Abstain from anything that feeds 'candida' fungus? Reread all the labels in my house to ascertain whether I've accidentally consumed any allergens? All those questions can take me back to 'diet' mode without any clear direction or answers for my symptoms ... kinda like my recent choice to abstain from artificial sweeteners. I know how unnecessary restrictions affect me ... Part of me responsibly obeys those restrictions, but the other part rebels and sometimes overeats foods (she thinks) are unnecessarily restricted.

I knew I've been feeling physically uncomfortable and emotionally hopeless. I also knew I was soooo tired of trying new dietary restrictions or additions to cope with my symptoms. Mostly I wanted something easy to digest and very soothing for lunch today. (Last night's dinner was a warm chicken salad with lots of vegies, which is very easily digested and soothing.) Above all I wanted something SWEET. I considered having for lunch one of my valentine (homemade) brownies with a scoop of chocolate ice cream and a few apple slices smeared with peanut butter. However, on a walk before lunch, I realized all that chocolate could cause more reflux. So I began to obsess about a thick slice of my homemade 'morning glory' bread (with apples, apricots, carrots, spaghetti squash, walnuts, etc.) topped with almond butter and creamed honey. After I returned from my walk, I decided to add baby carrots and apple slices to my 'comfort food' lunch.

As I slowly enjoyed the bread, nut butter and honey combo, I realized how seldom I eat such really sweet foods. I also observed that I had consumed a large carb load, because I felt relaxed and even drowsy after lunch, which was probably a good thing to relax my cramped intestines. Nevertheless, I realized eating small (a fist full portion) bread/nutbutter/honey lunch was more satisfying than any binge foods I ever tried to use for comfort. Of course, I mindfully enjoyed (actually 'oooo'ed and 'aahhh'ed over) that gooey concoction. I ate that lunch for over 30 minutes.

Perhaps, because I fed my body exactly what it craved, I feel better now, no cramping pains and pleasantly relaxed. Above all, I ate that meal when I was physically hungry and stopped when I was comfortably satisfied. Of course, I felt satisfied! I ate a small portion of exactly what I wanted. So this is what 'normal eating' is all about ... THANKS, Karen Koenig, Geneen Roth, Susie Orbach and all the other 'normal eating' gurus!!! Eating exactly what my BODY (not my mind) wants may be the 'cure' I need for physical discomfort. At least that feels better than questionable (undiagnosed) dietary restrictions and/or additions.

1 comment:

Gothic Writer said...

Sounds like fun!! :)

Our unique bodies are interesting. I could have had some of that but only with other stuff or I'd have been asleep and so crabby hours later. LOL.