Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Low Blood Sugar Experience

I needed lunch long before I returned home this afternoon. Fortunately I carried with me leftover 9 slices (3/4) of apple from yesterday's lunch, just in case I was delayed at the mall. Of course, I was delayed at the mall! LOL I can't go to pay a bill without at least looking and maybe trying on a few items. So I left the mall past the time I really needed lunch. Buying a meal at the food court with my 7 allergies is really risky. So I ate my apple while walking home (30 minutes). Then I ate 2 baby carrots while warming up the refried bean guacamole wrap I intended to eat for lunch. After I slowly ate that wrap I felt very full, almost uncomfortable. However I still craved something ... but what? I considered several sweet treats, but I knew I was full. So I had the following conversation with myself (I'll call the wanting part 'rebellious child' who wants more despite feeling full, and the reasoning part 'loving parent, who reasons with the child):

RC: I want something else to eat, maybe a dessert.

LC: Are you still hungry?

RC: NO, I feel full but not satisfied. I want something sweet.

LC: What do you want the food to do for you?

RC: Make my stomach more comfortable. Give me energy.

LC: Will eating more make you stomach feel better?

RC: No, I will just hurt more, but I feel tired. Food will give me energy.

LC: What else can you do when you feel tired?

RC: I can sit and post online or I can sew.

LC: How about a cup of tea while you sit and post and then sew for awhile?

RC: But I want sweetened tea with a little ginger to soothe my stomach.

LC: How about Chai Redbush which has stevia and ginger as well as rooibus?

RC: OK. GIMMEEE.

By the time I finished that conversation, my stomach felt better after digesting some of the food and my body felt more rested after posting. Most of all, my blood sugar 'caught up'. So I felt satisfied as well as full. Now I can enjoy my tea while I finish a sewing project.

No comments: