Thursday, February 2, 2012

Postponing Birthday Celebration

Tomorrow is officially my birthday. However, I plan to postpone celebrating for another week. My husband usually takes a day off work to celebrate (shop, see an art installation, eat out, etc.) on my birthday. Unfortunately, he's the project manager for a huge clinic move which begins tomorrow. Also I have a great coupon for a favorite store which doesn't begin until a week from tomorrow (birthday). Most of all the new exhibit at SAM (Paul Gaughan) doesn't begin until a week from today. So I might have a minor and a major celebration this year.

Actually I'm not looking forward to celebrating this birthday. My dad died almost 4 months after turning that number. My mom died 15 months later. I know my health is much better than theirs and I've improved a great deal since I was diagnosed with celiac disease almost 8 years ago. Nevertheless, my parents' ages at their death continue to haunt me

Fortunately warmer sunny weather is forecast for tomorrow. So I may take a long walk to our local mall. Today I earned a rewards discount certificate from the store where I got my laptop. I considered returning the sleeve I bought after purchasing the laptop, because I liked a more expensive, more colorful sleeve, but hestitated to spend that much. The certificate makes the more expensive sleeve more enticing. So I may exchange one sleeve for another tomorrow.

I'd also planned to make key lime pie for my birthday from a gluten, dairy, soy, egg, sugar free recipe, which I saw in one of my allergy free baking books. Instead of eggs, the recipe substitutes avocado. So the pie is much healthier than traditional key lime pie with eggs (and my other allergens). Best of all, the crust is a press and chill cooky crust and the filling is blended and poured into the chilled crust. The time consuming part is peeling and deseeding 5 avocados and juicing and zesting 6 limes. SIGH Oh well, I get to use my ergonomic zester and my powerful (Ninja) blender which we purchased before Christmas.

Then next week we'll see the SAM exhibit, shop and eat at my favorite allergy friendly restaurant (PF Chang's) and celebrate too many years and one week older.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I agree; I think it's a great idea to postpone your celebration in order to enjoy it all more.
You know what you'll enjoy, so go for it!
Also, I think the more colorful sleeve is more exciting too; I mean, you'll use it alot, why not make it fun to look at?
I hope you enjoy your whole birthday, and the pie sounds YUMMY!

sue said...

Now I can't decide what to do on my postponed birthday. LOL There's a movie I want to see, that Paul Gaughan exhibit and an annual NW Flower and Garden show all on that same day (within walking distance in downtown Seattle). However, rain showers are predicted. So we might opt for the movie and shop in the same building (and a few more shops nearby).

Yup, I got the purple sleeve, which was more padded. After my hubby spent so much on my laptop, I want good protection when we travel.

The pie was good, but we decided to put the other half in the freezer to save to St. Patrick's day, because it's green. Besides I'll be baking more cookies next week on Valentine's day and we haven't finished all the Christmas cookies. I went crazy with baking after I got my 2 new allergy free baking books. LOL