Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hypothyroid Approaching Week 5 w/o T4

One week ago, as I completed 5 weeks of T3 only therapy (stopped taking T4), I started to experience more hypothyroid symptoms, though not nearly the level I experienced while taking T4 and T3 together. First I noticed more difficulty with regularity to the point that a hard stool broke a hemorrhoid (bleeding) 2 days ago. Slowly I noticed more afternoon fatigue and then feeling cold more often, even before I needed my next T3 dose. I'm uncertain what all that means. However a few members of realthyroidhelp.com suggested I might need to increase my thyroid dose after much of the T4 had cleared my body. I'm now approaching 6 weeks free of T4. For some people 6 weeks is long enough to clear T4. I had only been taking a 50 (or sometimes 25) mcg once daily dose of T4 before I stopped. So maybe I'm close to 'clear'??? Whatever happens, I wanted to journal my increasing hypo symptoms.

Nevertheless, despite not getting enough sleep the night after my birthday 'observed' day, I haven't gotten another respiratory infection. (I used to get colds whenever I spent time away from home with other people, because I was soooo susceptible to viral infections.) So the DHEA is really helping to improve my immunity.

On my 'observed' (one week delayed celebration of my) birthday (after the bleeding hemorrhoid experience), we went into town to shop, see a new movie and enjoy a dinner out at PF Chang's. I spent the rest of my Christmas gift certificate at Express for new pants and jacket (casual suit). We saw "Big Miracle" with Drew Barrymore. The script was based on a true story about whales stuck under the ice in northern Alaska. I was very pleased with that movie which included comedy, romance and drama. I didn't imagine I would feel so sad when the baby whale died. (I told my husband Iwouldn't cry at the movie, but I didn't know the whole story.)

We enjoyed our meal at PF Chang's. However our waiter looked like a 'deer in headlights' when I told him I had 7 food allergies. His eyes glazed over and he told us we couldn't have any of the condiments, though I've often eaten the allergy free hot mustard. Despite sending my allergy allert card to the chef and our past experience with safe meals at PF Chang's that waiter's demeanor had me worried. So I suspected the sauce on my entree. (We can't eat any soy.) Then I had to wait almost 10 minutes for the manager to consult the chef to reassure me that the sauce was safe.

Meanwhile my dish got cold. Also the vegies were undercooked, despite my request to overcook them. I'm very honest when restaurant staff ask me how my dinner is. I told them. As usual PF Chang's compensated my dinner. As usual my husband gave them a tip the amount of my comp'd dinner. SIGH Oh well, being so upset, I ate so little that I had enough leftovers for 2 meals at home.

I normally love eating out, but I got contaminated with soy during December. During January, I learned that my favorite entree at our local Mexican restaurant contained a 'bit of wheat flour' in the sauce. That explained why I got so sick after my last visit there. So I was rather wary of eating a meal at a restaurant where the waiter seemed both clueless and frightened by my 7 allergies. I normally don't encounter that reaction to my allergy allert card.

No comments: