Saturday, February 25, 2012

Back to 40mcg T3

After a day or 2 of 37.5mcg of T3 (my previous dose), because I worried about heart palpitations, I noticed hypo symptoms (esp. bleeding hemorrhoids from constipation). I faced a lose-lose choice (bleeding hemorrhoids or heart palpitations). So I looked through "Recovering with T3" to see what the author said about heart palpitations. He said that symptom could be caused by taking T3 doses too close together (among other things). Since I take my largest divided dose (15mcg) when I first get up in the morning, I considered how soon I take my next (smaller 12.5mcg) dose. Then I tried taking that 5+ hours after the first dose, rather than 4+ hours later. The first day I took my 2nd dose 5+ hours later, I didn't notice any heart palpitations.

I continued taking my 2nd dose at least 5 hours after my first dose for a few days. The hypo symptoms disappeared as did the pounding heart sensations. So I'v been back on 40mcg (with 3 daily divided doses) of T3 and doing well for the past few days. If I stay on this dose until I see my doc and request a new prescription, I may need 5mcg pills to get an even 40mcg daily (with divided doses of 3, 2-1/2 and 2-1/2 mcg). 25 mcg pills would need to be divided more than is practical for a 40mcg total.

Also I finished 7 weeks without T4 two days ago. I've read most people need only 8 weeks to clear T4. So I'm approaching my maintenance T3 dose. However, I really won't know for sure until I pass that 8 week mark. Since blood tests are useless for determining appropriate T3 dosage, all I have are signs (blood pressure, pulse, body temp, etc.) and symptoms (regularity, energy, feeling warm and healthy).

7 comments:

Jeannine K. said...

I know it was a while back, but did the iodoquinol totally eliminate your d.fragilis? My 5 year old has it and I don't want to give her anything until I figure out what is most effective. I have also read that alinia is used for this.Thank you for your help!!

sue said...

Yes, Iodoquinol killed my dientamoeba fragilis overgrowth. My next stool test was clear of all bad bug imbalances. Another naturopath tried the 3 day treatment of Alinia on my d-frag infection, but that didn't work. I later learned from my current doc that Alinia is not recommended for d-frag parasite. However, some docs have their favorite drugs and try to use those on all problems. (My current doc specialized in parasitic infections in South America. She knew that specific drugs kill specific bugs and that there are no 'all purpose' treatments for gut bugs.)

Jeannine K. said...

Thanks for getting back to me! I am stressed about my daughter having this and it sounds like, based on my internet research, that this is the best drug to knock it out. It looks like some people have had to do 2 or 3 rounds of it in their children, but that it can be effective. Reading your posts about your journey have been interesting and helpful.

sue said...

Make sure you give your daughter high dose probiotics (12-50 billion live cells per capsule) after treatment ends. You could also give her probiotics during treatment, because you're treating a parasite, not a bacteria. It's important to repopulate the intestines with good bacteria while (and/or after) you're killing bad bugs. That will prevent another infection from a different 'bug' species. 12-50 billion sounds like a lot, but remember that we have trillions of bacteria in our intestines.

After my treatment with Iodoquinol, I took 2 capsules (100 billion live cells) of my probiotic for 6 months to prevent more gut bug problems. Now I just take one daily for maintenance. I haven't had any new gut bugs in the past 2 years after my 4 years of chronic infections.

Jeannine K. said...

ok, thanks! Now the only thing that I am confused about is that I read on some various sites (about parasites) that they actually feed on probiotics?? One site said to avoid probiotics that contain prebiotics, whatever that means, and that lactobacillus salivarius is a good probiotic to take. It said to aviod oligosaccharides and inulin, FOS and GOS. I am not informed enought about probitics to know what all that is, so now I'm not sure what is ok and what is not. Have you ever heard anything like this?

sue said...

There are lots of myths and misconceptions on celiac.com. Parasites do NOT feed on probiotics. Probiotics are the same beneficial bacteria, which we already have in our intestines. Focus on killing the parasites, rather than trying to 'starve' them out with mythical food. Prebiotics feed probiotics. However, many high fiber foods contain prebiotics as well as fructooligosaccharides (FOS and oligosaccarides) and inulin (more FOS) which is another soluble fiber.

I vaguely recall reading a post on celiac.com with all those misconceptions. A better website with accurate info about gut bugs and treatment is http://www.ibstreatmentcenter.com See the doctor's blog (left side of homepage) for many articles on treating gut bugs like parasites, etc. and FOS.

Jeannine K. said...

Great. I will check out that website, but it is encouraging to know that I don't have to feel like I have to take an instructional course on probiotics! Thank you!