Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Now What?

Last Wednesday was my 15th day of 'every 3rd day' pulse dose vancomycin treatment for c-diff. I never previously continued that far in the 'pulse dose' phase of treatment. This morning (3 days later) I experienced nausea, cramping pain and diarrhea again. I wonder whether my c-diff spores have 'morphed' into bacteria again right on schedule with the every 3rd day treatment plan. However, I had planned to go 4-5 days before taking more vanco. So I may just ride out these symptoms and take a vanco or 2 tomorrow.

I wonder whether the diarrhea is related to increased fiber during the past 3 days. I've eaten hot cooked cereal (with rice bran) for breakfast and soups or casseroles (with rice bran thickener) for dinners during the past 3 days. However, that doesn't explain the nausea and cramping pain, which are my usual c-diff symptoms. I want this long c-diff nightmare to be over YESTERDAY. I wish I had a doctor who knew how to treat c-diff recurrences. I can only rely on online articles about studies which successfully treated recurrences.

I observe that my symptoms appear about every 3 days and disappear after taking 1-2 vanco on that third day. Also daily taking 2 probiotic capsules seems to eliminate the diarrhea. I had thought that taking vanco caused the diarrhea, because vanco destroys the good bacteria. However I noticed after not taking vanco for 3 days that my c-diff symptoms and diarrhea returned today. I'm rather confused. I wish I knew for sure what's going on.

I could get another $350 DNA Microbial Stool Test which could confirm whether or not I still have c-diff. However, I prefer to wait until I'm symptom free before taking that test. As long as I have symptoms, I still suspect I have newly 'morphed from spores' bacteria which are creating toxins and causing those symptoms. Here I go again ... I told my husband that the only thing I want for Christmas is to be free of c-diff by Christmas. He told me to get that expensive test to tell me for sure.

No comments: