Monday, November 22, 2010

Snow Day Cancellation

After waiting a week for an appointment with my doctor, her clinic called to tell me she would not be there today due to snowy weather. Ironically we were prepared for a 2 hour drive (one way) with studded snow tires to keep both appointments (for my husband and I). However, my doc decided to take a 'snow day'.

When I requested another appointment the receptionist offered one next week 7 days later. She didn't have anything for my husband that day. However, my husband said he could do a phone consult with his doc. Nevertheless, I told the receptionist that I had been sick with one cold after another (or the same cold?) for 3 months, because my white blood count was low and dropped lower over 2 months. So I needed to see my doc ASAP and hopefully get something to replenish my white blood cells. Magically the receptionist came up with 2 overlapping appointments this week (2 days from today) for my husband and I. I'm glad I persisted and didn't accept the 7 day delayed appointment. I'm always amazed by the appointment openings that magically appear when I persist.

Since my husband took the week off, we enjoyed walking in the snow to do errands. I'll get a head start on Thanksgiving preparations by making cranberry relish this afternoon. Tomorrow we will celebrate his birthday by seeing a movie. Then I'll make his favorite dinner (liver and onions, green beans and yukon gold potatoes).

I hope the weather is improved enough on Wednesday, because I don't want to play the rescheduling game again. Besides I expect my doctor to change my thyroid supplement prescription. I'll have to get that at my HMO pharmacy the day after Thanksgiving. Meanwhile I'm still fighting cold symptoms with massive doses of Vitamins C and D and eating anything I crave, which usually means foods high in Vitamins C and A. Today I had fresh tomatoes and lettuce on my sandwich at lunch with candied ginger for dessert. Ginger stimulates the bodies immune system. I always feel better after eating ginger, but can only tolerate a little, because it's soooo hot and spicy.

No comments: