Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Blood, Eye and Stool Tests

After a 14 hour fast this morning I did a blood draw at my local HMO clinic for tests, which my naturopath requested. Those included lipid panel with triglycerides, CBC with ferritin, comprehensive metabolic panel, 2 liver functioin tests (ALT and AST), a Vitamin D test and 2 thyroid function tests. I was told that they would send the results to my naturopath. My HMO primary care doc should have most of the results (except Vitamin D test), when I see her tomorrow for my physical (primarily pap and pelvic exam plus any of my concerns). I plan to update that doc on my gut bug treatment history. She's rather clueless about how I could even get parasites, candida and pathogenic bacteria.

I also scheduled an eye exam with an opthalmologist at the GHC See Center on September 20, because I had burning eye pain while taking Iodoquinol. I sure hope that drug didn't affect my vision, because I don't think that could be reversed.

Today my husband will purchase a Metametrix (DNA) Microbial Ecology Profile stool test at the lab affiliated with my naturopath's clinic. I plan to do that test sometime within the next 2 weeks. I currently don't have any obvious gut bug symptoms. However, I'd like to know for certain that I eliminated the d-frag parasite and H. Pylori bacteria. Nevertheless, I won't receive the stool test results until a month after I do the test. Fortunately I feel really well. I have no intestinal pain. So I don't think I have any new nasty intestinal critters. However, with my history, I hesitate to consider myself totally recovered without seeing a stool test which is negative for pathogenic gut bugs.

I'm still taking the high dose (50 billion cells per capsule) probiotics twice daily. Those seem to have greatly improved my regularity. I'm also continuing to take the HCl capsules (one with smaller meals and 2 with larger meals) without discomfort. I know I will need to abstain from both the HCl and probiotics before I do the stool test. So I plan continue taking those for another 7-10 days, before I do the test.

Nevertheless, I'm not planning to vacation outside Seattle (like Maui) this year. Feeling well, i.e. free of painful intestinal symptoms, seems more exciting and satisfying that any vacation experience. Of course, if I receive a bad stool test results, I won't have already booked a plane flight and lodging. So I will be home for treatment, if necessary. Obviously, I still hesitate to believe I'm truly 'well'.

No comments: