Thursday, June 10, 2010

More HMO Pharmacy Screwups

My doc emailed me last night to say that he called in my prescription for Humatin (paromomycin) to treat the dientamoeba fragilis parasite. So early this morning I called my local HMO pharmacy to ask whether my prescription was ready. They told me they had NO record of my doctor ever ordering that medication. I verified the drug and my doctor's name and they again said he never called it in. I believed he had called in the prescription, but someone in the pharmacy lost the order.

Nevertheless, I called my doc and verified that he had called the prescription to my local HMO pharamacy. Then I called the pharmacy again and told them that my doc had indeed phoned in my prescription last night. So whoever answered the phone told me to hold on while she looked for my prescription order. Meanwhile I was standing in my bathroom dripping wet while the shower water was running. The best way to get someone to call you back is to call them and get into the shower. I got 3 calls this morning while trying to take my shower. Anyway I finally got tired of waiting for the pharmacy person to get back to the phone. So I hung up and finished my shower.

Then I called the pharmacy again. Fortunately the person looking for my prescription answered the phone and told me that she found it. It was 'in the back', because they didn't recognize the drug. She told me my doc had ordered 'humestin' for stomach ulcers. I know my doc ordered 'humatin' for my parasite, but the pharmacy blamed the doc, rather than blame their own personnel. So we verified that the drug was actually 'humatin' (an antibacterial/antiparasitic drug).

Then the pharmacy person had to locate that drug, because my local pharmacy doesn't carry it. The HMO drug availability site listed humatin as one of the drugs they carried. However per usual my local pharmacy did not carry it. I had the same experience with Alinia exactly one week ago. Fortunately they called me back again to say they found 22 capsules at another clinic. I told them to transfer my prescription to that clinic. So my husband could pick up my prescription on his way home (by bus) today.

So tonight after dinner I will begin yet another drug to treat d-frag. The side effects are nausea, stomach (probably intestinal) pain, diarrhea, etc. I already have the first 2 symptoms from the parasite. So I may either experience more intense pain and nausea or decreased symptoms while the drug kills the d-frag. Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to 7 more days of discomfort while I wonder whether this drug will work.

Meanwhile I'll wait for the other clinic (which reviewed my patient history last night) to call me to say whether they want to take on my case (with chronic gut infections). I won't visit that clinic until I finish 7 days of Humatin side effects and hopefully erradicate d-frag. So at the earliest I could visit that clinic a week from tomorrow. More waiting and wondering ...

3 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

Sue, I hope the clinic you want works out! Sounds like you are going through the ringer. I am thinking about you and praying for you. I've just taken some major time off of the Internet this summer (as much as I can when I'm not working online). I will update my blog sometime soon I hope. I'll catch up on all your posts...

sue said...

Thanks, Lisa. I called that clinic today. The staff docs reviewed my history on Wednesday and one doc who had lots of experience with parasites took my case. She'll call back Monday to schedule an appointment.

Meanwhile I'm doing well with the Humatin (to treat the d-frag critters). I don't feel worse than I did with the parasite symptoms. (Some treatments make me feel sicker than I did while I had the gut bug.) I suspect the Alinia made me feel so sick (chronic gut pain), because it contained soy lecithin, one of my allergies. Humatin lists the same side effects (nausea, belly pain), but I don't feel intense side effects. I still have a bit of nausea, but I drink ginger tea to relieve that. I have a bit of gut pain, but that could be the parasite still.

When I overeat, I feel stomach pain, but I suspect that's still unhealed damaged from the H. Pylori. Otherwise mastic gum seems to be relieving the HP symptoms and hopefully eliminating that bug. You'd think with pain everytime my stomach stretches, I'd learn to stop when I feel full, rather than eating from hunger pain to fullness pain. LOL Oh well, eventually I'll learn. SIGH

SUE

sue said...

Hi again Lisa:
I need to post about my latest, but briefly, I have an appointment at the Tahoma clinic (run by the author of "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You") on June 23. After a 12+ hour fast, I will take the Heidelberg capsule test, which will measure how quickly my stomach produces acid (if any). Then I'll see the doc 5 hours later. The stomach acid test can take anywhere from 1-3 hours, depending on how fast the patient produces acid in response to bicarbonate challenges. I'm almost certain that I'll 'flunk' the test, unless the mastic gum heals my perietal cells enough to resume acid production. (I'm currently taking mastic gum for H. Pylori infection, but I've read that may also heal achloridia (absense of stomach acid). I'll post more about that test, when I find time.