Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Continued D-Frag Symptoms

I feel worse today. My cramping pain feels like a charley horse in my lower right quadrant. I felt very nauseas after lunch, although I didn't overeat or eat any food allergens. So I emailed my naturopathic doc to tell him that my d-frag symptoms are back. I told him that I either need a longer treatment with Alinia or treatment with a different drug. Per usual he's out of the office when I'm sick. So I may not hear from him until tomorrow. If he opts for Alinia, I may have to hassle with my HMO pharmacy, which carries Alinia, but not at the local clinic. More fun and games ...

Meanwhile I contacted the local clinic which deals extensively with digestive problems. The head of that clinic wrote "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You". I suspect my history of contracting one gut bug after another is related to my digestive challenges, possible low stomach acid. They advised me to fill out the (9 page) patient history form and send that. So their doctors can review my history and decide whether they could help me. I love that honest approach! Most docs will say, "Sure, come in and we'll look at you" and then charge me for multiple office visits, tests and treatments while they guess what might cause my symptoms. So even though I feel like @#$% right now, I'm hopeful that somebody can help me resolve this chronic gut infection thing.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

Sue, that sounds terrible. I hate charley horses, and cannot imagine that type of pain in my gut. I am praying that you get the help you need medicine wise and clinic wise...

sue said...

Thanks, Lisa. As I said in my reply to your comment in "More HMO Screwups", I'm on my second treatment for d-frag, because the Alinia didn't eliminate that parasite. This second drug is easier to take, because it doesn't contain any of my allergens.

I'll hear from that clinic on Monday to make an appointment. They will definitely want to measure my stomach acid, as well as do a test for nutritional deficiencies and malabsorption issues. (I'm sure I have those, because my fingernails tear easily and I get bruises easily and frequently.)