Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Alinia and Mastic Gum

My doc replied to my email about treatments for dientamoeba fragilis and h. pylori. He said he prefers alinia (nitazoxanide) for d-frag, because that parasite is difficult to eliminate and alinia is very effective. Also he said that many people have h. pylori, but no symptoms, and that I could try mastic gum. I've already had peptic ulcer (caused by h. pylori) symptoms. I didn't tell him I've already taken 3 doses of mastic gum and feel a bit better (no burning pain after eating). I still feel nauseas if I eat more than very small meals. However, that could also be caused by the parasite.

In my reply to my doc's email I said I preferred a shorter, more effective treatment which may make me very sick (like alinia) to a longer, milder, perhaps less effective treatment (like iodoquinolin) for d-frag. I certainly don't want to spend the next six months (and all summer) feeling crappy while I treat d-frag with ineffective drugs (like last summer with c-diff).

So I plan to pick up a prescription for an antiparasitic drug for d-frag later this afternoon. I'm prepared to feel sick for a few days, but I don't know yet whether I'll need a longer treatment for d-frag. Maybe I'll adjust to alinia after a few days. I only took that drug for 3 days to treat cryptosporidium. Some people adjust to drugs side effects after a few days. Maybe I'll get lucky if I need longer treatment. Always the optimist ... LOL

No comments: