Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hypochloridia

The Heidelberg capsule test was fun! After fasting 15 hours and no fluids 4 hours before testing, they gave me a bit of water to swallow the capsule, which was tied to a very thin thread. I still felt the thread, but got used to it. They gave me a radio transmitter thingy to wear around my neck (close to my stomach), which transmitted the results to a big screen, where I could watch how quickly my stomach produced acid after each of 5 biocarbonate 'challenges' (bicarb disolved in a tiny bit of water). The first time I had a normal recovery (from alkaline to acid in less than 20 minutes). The next 2 were closer to 30 minutes and the last 2 were shorter, but still abnormally slow. So I produce stomach acid, but more slowly than normal.

I suspect the mastic gum treatment for H. Pylori helped increase my acid production. However, I can't take HCl acid supplemental capsules to normalize digestion, until AFTER I heal the H. Pylori stomach damage (and kill the HP). So I'll continue with mastic gum, plus turkey rhubarb root tincture and glutamine. I can take those all together at the same time.

The dientamoeba fragilis battle rages on. My previous doc (I'm NEVER going back to him!) prescribed Alinia, which is never used for d-frag, for 3 days, which didn't work. Then he prescribed Humatin for a week, which didn't work. So now I'm sicker than ever (constant gut pain and bloating) with less good bacteria. My new doc showed me in her 'bug treatment' manual that iodoquinol (my first choice before my previous doc recommended Alinia) is the most effective for d-frag. However, I didn't want to take iodo, because its 3rd ingredient contains lactose (I have casein allergy and get bad 1-2 week reactions). So my new doc told me a compounding pharmacist can prepare the iodo w/o lactose. Hopefully my local HMO pharmacist can prepare a lactose free iodo and I can resume fighting the d-frag critters soon (for the next 20 days). OH JOY! Another summer spent suffering side effects from drugs and symptoms from bad bugs. GRRRR!!!

Nevertheless I'm overjoyed to find this new doc who is part of a real CLINIC with many doctors who are all trained and managed by Dr. Jonathon Wright, who wrote "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You". I also learned that my previous doc charged me for the whole DNA Microbial test ($340) 4x, when I only needed the gut bug section ($160). He always bragged about trying to save his patients $$$. So untrue. Anyway I'm very pleased with my new doc, who is very experienced in parasites, gut bugs, food allergies, gluten intolerance AND stomach acid deficiency problems.

I still need to endure treatment for d-frag and H. Pylori, before I can resume taking HCl. Nevertheless, hypochloridia (rather than achloridia or no stomach acid production) means I can eventually stop using HCl and have normal digestion. WHAT IS THAT???!! LOL The last time I experienced anything close to normal digestion was when I was taking supplemental HCl and controlling c-diff with vancomycin, during my last Maui visit. Low stomach acid, food allergies and gut bugs ALL impair digestion.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

Hi, Sue, your upcoming treatment sounds rough, but so glad you are being treated now by a good doc/clinic. Sounds like there is hope for better digestion after this next round of treatment...

sue said...

I sure hope treatment for this parasite isn't as rough as my previous ongoing treatment for c-diff. However, I already spent the morning researching (and calling) pharmacies which would compound a prescription of iodoquinol WITHOUT lactose. My HMO (Group Health Coop) policy does NOT cover compounded drug prescriptions. So I might just as well go to an outside pharmacy and pay full price.

The only 2 pharmacies which have iodoquinol NOW (without having to wait a few days for an order) vary widely in price and location. One pharmacy which is southeast of my husband's office can prepare the Rx for $139.40. However, he doesn't have the car today and I don't want to drive over an hour each way to p/u the Rx. Another pharmacy can compound the Rx and charge $55 (MUCH BETTER!!!!). My husband can take buses from his office and p/u that Rx on the way home from work.

My new doc often works with either pharmacy. So her asst. called the cheaper Rx pharmacy. That means I get to start the drug with tonight's dinner. That also means I've been off treatment for this parasite for exactly a week. So the d-frag critters are wreaking havoc in my intestines, causing nausea and cramping pain every time I eat.

Although I know Iodoquinol has side effects, I suspect those will be much milder WITHOUT the usual lactose ingredient. Maybe I'll just get diarrhea and nausea. Any form of dairy causes waves of cramping pain (like bad menstrual cramps), bloating and constipation. Hopefully I won't get any of that with a lactose free compounded version of Iodoquinol.