Monday, June 21, 2010

Heidelberg Capsule Test

I finished the Humatin (to kill the dientamoeba fragilis parasite) last Thursday afternoon. 4 days later I STILL have lower left quadrant cramping pain, especially after meals, and lower right quadrant pain after bowel movements. I suspect I still have the d-frag critters in my intestines. However, I have also been taking a daily high dose probiotics (127 billion live good bacteria) since Thursday evening. Nevertheless, I will just endure the gut pain until after my appointment on Wedenesday (June 23) for a Heidelberg capsule test for stomach acid production.

I will take that test at the Tahoma Clinic run by Dr. Jonathon Wright, who wrote "Why Stomach Acid is Good For You". They will give me the test, after I fast for 12 hours (not even water 4 hours before the test). I can't take any OTC meds 48 hours before the test. I can't take any prescription meds (acid blockers) 7 days before the test. Basically I swallow a capsule, which consists of a tiny pH sensor and radio transmitter compressed into a container which is the size of a large vitamin capsule. That is attached to a long thread so they can retrieve the capsule from my stomach after the test. I swallow a baking soda mixture which turns my stomach alkaline. Then they measure the rate at which my stomach produces enough acid to change the pH back to acidic. They may do a series of bicarbonate challenges to measure that rate.

I'm certain that I can easily fast from dinner the previous evening until after the test. Abstaining from food AND water will be more difficult, but I did that after I reacted to Percocet (prescribed for a hemorrhoid removal procedure). I didn't choose to fast. I was so nauseas that I threw up everything including water for 18 hours after taking Percocet for pain from the botched 'banding'.

After the stomach acid test, I will see one of their docs to discuss my test results, how that may have influenced my gut bug history and how to resolve any problems I have. The doc who will see me has experience with parasites and possibly celiac disease and food allergies. I may request a blood test for nutrient deficiencies, because I suspect I have B12 and iron deficiencies, which may explain my ever increasing fatigue.

No comments: