Sunday, March 28, 2010

Paul McKenna's 'I Can Make You Thin'

When I saw this book in my local public library, I forgot that I watched the author's TLC tv series by the same title. I hesitated to open the book, because I disliked the title. The notion that anybody can 'make' anyone else thin seems ridiculous! We choose to eat less and/or exercise more. Nobody can force us to make those choices. Nevertheless, I opened the book and was pleasantly surprised to read the '4 Golden Rules' which were the same guidelines proposed by almost every other intuitive eating book I previously read. So I checked out the book and continued reading.

This book is short--only 7 chapters with few 'success stories' and Q&As for each chapter. The author tells readers why they succeed with his approach in the first chapter. Then he proceeds to explain in detail his approach in the next 6 chapters.

The second chapter introduces those 4 Golden Rules: (1) When you are hungry, eat; (2) Eat what you want, not what you think you should; (3) Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful; and (4) When you think you are full, stop eating. He later explains that following rule (3) will help you easily follow the other rules. I appreciated his detailed description of the physical sensations and experiences associated with 'fullness', which many IE authors omit. He also includes a memory exercise which teaches readers to mentally 'recalibrate' their inner hunger/fullness signals. So they can recognize those sensations at moderate, rather than extreme, levels. Above all he warns readers to avoid weighing themselves daily and preferably weigh only once every 2 weeks.

The third chapter describes the author's unique technique for implementing the IE guidelines: visualization. Likewise this book contained a CD which was a guided, relaxed visualization exercise. That exercise suggests that the listeners envision themselves at their ideal weight, going through a typical day, following the 4 eating guidelines, and coping with stress effectively without eating. I listened to that visualization CD at least once daily for the past 19 days and noticed immediate changes in my self-talk, eating habits and how I coped with stress. So that CD helped me actually utilize the information this book presents.

The fourth chapter provides solutions for the "number-one reason people eat when they're not hungry (which) is to cover up a negative emotion or fill an emotional hole." I especially like his friend's quotation: "There aren't enough cookies in the world to make you feel loved and whole." The author describes recognizable differences between emotional and physical hunger. More importanly, he states: "Control your response to stress and you will no longer want or need to overeat." Then he describes 2 simple physical techniques which help the reader change how they respond to stress. However, I preferred to use the third visualization technique which he described on the CD.

The fifth chapter described the importance of physical exercise and specific ways to increase motivation to exercise. I didn't gain much from that chapter, because I already love physical exercise. I know that I feel better (less pain, more energy) after exercise. So I have no problem with motivation. I can easily recall how much better exercise makes me feel.

The sixth chapter addresses specific food cravings. These techniques seemed contradictory to golden rule 2 (Eat what you want). However many of the author's clients requested techniques to 'control cravings'. Perhaps suggestions on the CD that the listener will prefer healthier, fresher foods might eventually influence some good food/bad food cravings. I don't consider cravings problematic (I eat what I crave). So I didn't consider the 'craving buster' techniques presented in that chapter. I especially disliked the 'aversive' visualization technique for preventing cravings.

The last chapter about self-sabotage was very helpful. The author discussed how people can sabotage their own weight loss efforts in order to protect themselves from what they believe might happen when they lose weight. Both weight loss and self-protection are positive intentions. So the author explained how to unite those disparate intentions and eliminate that internal struggle and self-sabotage.

When I began reading this book and listening to the CD, I was already at my ideal weight. However, I would like to firm up my muscles and improve my gastrointestinal health. So during the CD visualization exercise, I saw myself at my ideal weight (easy for me) with firm muscles and a healthy body. I have lost almost an inch around my waist (without losing weight) and improved my upper arm muscle tone during the past few weeks. Visualizing myself with a healthier gastrointestinal system helped me get past memories of years of struggling with symptoms of celiac disease, food allergies and various gut infections. I had difficulty believing that I would ever feel well or have normal digestion. This CD helped me convince myself that I could feel healthy and strong again. I've recently noticed improved gastrointestinal health.

I recommend this book and CD for:

(1) Anyone who accepts intuitive eating guidelines, but has difficulty consistently following those.

(2) Anyone who has difficulty believing that they can actually lose weight or improve their health.

(3) Anyone who has a bad body image.

(4) Anyone who consistently sabotages their weight loss or intuitive eating efforts.

I disliked certain techniqes presented in this book. I also noticed and disliked some theoretical inconsistencies, i.e., the author initially suggested one idea and then later presented ideas which conflicted with the intial idea. However, someone, who is familiar with IE guidelines and wants new ways to implement those guidelines, may learn some useful techniques and insights from this book.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

I just got the book from the library. I'll be posting reactions to it. Glad you recommended it. :)

sue said...

I returned the book after 3 weeks, but I still use the guided visualization. I listened to the CD so many times that I memorized the words and recite them to myself before sleep at night. I also hear those words when I eat, when I feel hungry, when I feel stressed, etc., etc.