Wednesday, March 24, 2010

One Day Spring Break

Today was a really warm, spring like day. Seattle weather hitting 70 degrees felt like spring had finally arrived. Fortunately my husband planned to take today off work to watch an online educational presentation. After that late morning presentation, he was free for the rest of the day.

So we played tennis for the first time this year. However I seemed to have forgotten how to even hold the racquet, although we played briefly in Maui last October. Unfortunately, at that time I was taking high doses of vancomycin to treat c-diff. That treatment depleted my good bacteria enough to deplete my vitamin K production. That depletion caused me to bruise very easily. Clapping my hands bruised my palm so badly that I could barely hold the racquet. Then I absentmindedly walked into a metal bench and bruised my shin so badly I could barely walk, much less run. Needless to say I didn't play much tennis during our Maui vacation. Earlier last summer I was so nauseas from taking flagyl for c-diff that I didn't play tennis at all in Seattle.

Despite not having played tennis for so long I eventually started connecting racquet to ball and even continuing long volleys. I wore my biking gloves to protect my palms and fingers from bruising. Although I take lots of probiotics daily, I still can bruise easily. We usually don't play real games with scores during the first few times we play. My husband and I aren't very competitive. We would rather just keep the ball in play and get as much exercise as possible, rather than keeping score. Surprisingly my backhand was as good as my forehand or my forehand was worse than usual, but my backhand was better than usual.

After an hour or so in the warm sun we were hungry and decided to get lunch at a local Mexican restaurant. With my food allergy restrictions I only feel safe at a few local restaurants. I always order the same dish at that Mexican restaurant. That entree gives me enough for 3 meals. So I eat enough to feel satisfied and take home enough for 2 more later meals. In fact, we usually enjoy at least one more meal from restaurant leftovers.

Then we walked home, put our leftovers in the freezer and headed back outside to do some gardening. Because the seeds I planted earlier have come up, I could see where seeds failed to sprout or birds pulled up the tiny seedlings. So we reseeded those areas. We also did some much needed pruning on blueberry bushes, roses and camelias.

Because we had dinner food (meat, vegies, rice and beans with sauce) for lunch, we just had a light meal (supper?) while we watched the "September Issue" netflix about the preparation of one very large issue of Vogue Magazine. I ate a rice tortilla filled with deli turkey and hummus. My husband had a peanut butter and homemade peach jam sandwich. We both had apples for dessert. Afterwards I had another bite of an allergy free fudge sicle ("Sweet Nothings"), because I crave fudgesicles (or any ice cream flavor) on warm days.

The weather gurus predict a couple of rainy days, one warm day, followed by several more rainy days. So I'm glad my husband and I could enjoy today's sunshine. I enjoy simple activities like tennis, restaurant lunches and gardening as much as I enjoy any other activity, at least during sunny days in Seattle.

2 comments:

Heidi Bylsma said...

Wow, Sue. Sounds like a very healthy active day. I used to teach tennis years ago. Now my kids and I have been playing so much racquetball, I dread the day I try to play tennis again! Yay for you and hubby!

sue said...

Thanks, Heidi! We played (volleyed?) again yesterday. Unfortunately, I went from bad to worse. LOL Even though I wore my biking gloves again to protect my hands I didn't seem to get into the 'groove' until almost an hour after we volleyed. About then my husband starts getting tired and going downhill. I wish I played tennis as well as I play ping pong. I can easily smoke him playing ping pong. LOL (We have a pingpong table in our basement and play on hot summer evenings.)

SUE