Friday, March 5, 2010

Change One Habit: Sit to Eat

I remember previously blogging about committing to one habit change, but I can't find that post. Maybe I deleted the blog where I posted that comment. However, I remember committing to eat only when sitting, most often at a table or counter (breakfast nook). However that doesn't exclude eating lunch while watching a movie or eating dinner while sitting in the living room watching netflix. Nevertheless, I realize how eating standing up influences my overeating and even bingeing.

When I feel overwhelmed and confused (as I currently feel about my eating habits), I need a simple solution. I don't want to change my whole life style. Furthermore, I have fairly intuitive eating habits most of the time. I eat when hungry, foods I love, focus on the tastes and textures when I eat, and stop when I feel moderately full MOST OF THE TIME.

However, I eat standing up usually when I feel emotional, not physical, hunger. Also I'm influenced by environmental cues, like free food in grocery stores, a specific corner of my kitchen counter, food I'm preparing for a meal, the food in my refrigerator, and even food in my freezer. When I'm not in the kitchen, I never think about eating unless I 'm physically hungry. However, when I only feel slight hunger, entering the kitchen triggers extreme cravings to eat anything tasty and convenient while I prepare the meal. I suspect I developed, 'Pavlovian' response to food samples in stores, preparing food in my kitchen and even opening the refrigerator or freezer. I practiced eating in response to those cues so many times that I believe I'm hungry when I see those stimuli.

Previously I practiced only eating when sitting and experienced fantastic results. I enjoyed the food more when I sat to eat. I felt satisfied by what and how much I ate so that I didn't want more when I finished. I stopped feeling 'hungry' when I prepared food. I resisted all those 'Pavlovian' habit responses long enough to differentiate true physical hunger from environmentally cued cravings. So how, when and why did I resume eating standing up, while preparing food or other times when I responded to environmental cues? I rationalized that:

Normal people don't restrict where they eat.

I'm thin. I can eat anytime and anywhere I want.

Relying on my internal cues of hunger and fullness should limit when, what and how much I eat, without worrying about where I eat.

I can't taste my soups, casseroles, etc. if I won't let myself eat standing up.

I will starve between meals if I can't snack standing up.

I will overeat at my meals if I don't let myself snack standing up between meals.

Here's how I challenge those rationalizations:

My recent bingeing habits were not 'normal eating'. I never binge while sitting down. I almost always binge while standing at the kitchen counter. In order to overcome my 'Pavlovian response' to the kitchen counter, my open refrigerator, etc., I need to practice doing those things there without eating. So choosing to eat sitting down creates a new habit to replace my old stand and binge habit.

I may still be thin. However, I gained 4 pounds, one for each binge, during the past 2 months. When I eat whatever I want without bingeing, I don't gain weight.

Many IE gurus recommend sitting to focus while eating. External cues for eating from my kitchen, refrigerator, meal preparation often seem stronger than my internal hunger/fullness sensations. I'm not limiting where I eat. I'm creating space between urges to eat and actually eating, so I can consider whether I'm actually hungry. Sitting lets me to relax, enjoy eating and focus my stomach cues without distractions of meal preparation or other standing activities.

I can ask my husband to taste what I prepare. Also I can take a small spoonful and sit at the breakfast nook on the other side of the stove while I taste my creation. Walking over to a chair creates enough effort that I won't want to continue tasting many times after I season the food 'to taste'.

When I previously limited eating to meals, I was always surprised at how long meals stayed with me, especially when I ignored external cues to eat.

When I sit, I can eat slowly and focus on how the food tastes, how my stomach feels and whether I feel satisfied. Usually when I focus on all that, I feel bored with eating before I feel moderately full and want to stop eating when I feel full.

So far today I ate 2 sitting meals and resisted tastes and snacks between meals. I enjoyed the food much more because I was actually hungry when I sat to eat. I also felt less environmental cues to eat the longer I resisted tastes and snacks before meals. Rather than lick my fingers or the utensils, I washed the food off my hands and utensils, just as I would do if I were to prepare an allergen.

After writing this post, I realize I'll need to watch my self talk and challenge rationalizations if I want to keep this commitment long enough to extinguish environmental stimuli to eat when I'm not hungry. However, I observed from today's and previous attempts that I did feel less pull from those cues the longer I ignored them and only ate while sitting.

3 comments:

Claudi said...

Hi Sue
I am sorry to read you fell of the waggon , ( join the club )
reading your post I was thinking of my struggles with eating between meals without being hungry
your solution only eating when sitting at a table sounds good but my concern is resticting yourself from not even tasting your soup while you are cooking to see if it needs more spices....don't you think that is to stickt of a rule??
I would brake my rule very fast
now if you tink you ate too much while tasting your food at the stove just take that amount of your plate later ....

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. I don't think I even got on the wagon this year. LOL I binged once every 2-3 weeks since early January, after I did that last stool test, which showed I had another intestinal bacteria. I know I've been bingeing to cope with emotions. Initially I was frustrated that I had another infection. Then I was frustrated twice, maybe 3 times by sewing projects. I've just gotten back into the habit of emotional eating.

It's easier for me to just abstain from stand up eating. I can't really estimate how much I eat while standing up and then subtract that from my meal. I've tried that. Since I don't count calories or fat grams or anything else, I only know how full I feel.

I do eat less at the meal after stand up eating. However, letting myself eat while cooking turns into letting myself eat when I walk in the kitchen or open the refrigerator, etc., etc., etc. My habit just snowballs from tastes to binges.

Choosing to mindfully eat at the table feels much more natural to me. That doesn't feel like a rule, but rather it feels like a choice to allow myself to enjoy the food even more. I don't enjoy what I'm eating as much when I'm trying to do something else. I actually can wait for the meal, because I know I will enjoy the food more.

sue said...

I forgot to mention. My husband will gladly taste the soup or sauce for me. LOL I seldom cook soup just for myself. So I need his opinion on the taste anyway.