Saturday, September 26, 2009

Stop Vanco, Begin Probiotics???

I didn't know whether to continue my vancomycin pulse dose treatment for c-diff or discontinue vanco and start high dose probiotics. I took 1 vanco every 48 hours for 8 days now. Just before I took the next vanco (48 hours after the previous dose) I got diarrhea. Then I take the vanco and I have normal stools for 48 hours. So I may still have c-diff spores causing the diarrhea. Taking the vanco kills those for awhile, until more spores morph into bacteria and cause more diarrhea. I want to take more probiotics because I bruise very easily now (symptom of low good bacteria). However vanco will kill the good bacteria. So I don't want to waste the high dose probiotics while I continue to take vanco. This pulse dose therapy is a real crap shoot (pardon the pun). LOL

Nevertheless, I decided to continue my orginal plan: stop taking vanco after 8 days of every other day capsules (after the previous month of tapered dosing) and begin high dose probiotics. I knew my good bacteria were very low after I got 3 bruises on my hand (finger/palm joints) while playing tennis this morning. Next time I'll use my padded biking gloves. I have never bruised so easily. So I decided I really need those high dose probiotics.

Also taking vanco yesterday morning did not alleviate the diarrhea. So I suspect I'm either eating too many home grown grapes (and tomatoes) or I just need more good bacteria. I don't think c-diff spores caused the diarrhea, because I don't have any other c-diff symptoms (like cramping pain, nausea or dizziness). I did have cold symptoms (sore throat, sinus pain and fatigue) today. So I took more zinc and drank ginger tea (as well as ate all those fresh tomatoes LOL). I did not take any pain pills, but the sinus pain and sore throat completely disappeared after dinner, when I again took zinc, drank ginger tea, ate a fresh vegie salad with tomatoes and took the high dose probiotic. Only time will tell how the probiotic affects my diarrhea, but my cold symptoms decreased dramatically.

Amazingly I didn't react badly to the higher dose probiotics (127 billion viable bacteria vs. the 8-12 billion capsules I had previously taken). I only have slight bloating and no gut pain. Maybe the vanco didn't kill all the good bacteria in those previous 8-12 billion capsules. Maybe I have built up enough good bacteria by taking lower dose probiotics during tapered vanco dosing, so that my gut doesn't have a big adjustment (bloating and gas) to higher dose probiotics. Again only time will tell, but so far, so good.

No comments: