Thursday, September 3, 2009

Down, Down and Hopefully Down

My weight has not budged, despite 'cutting back' a little. The scales don't lie. So I need to get more honest with myself. I suspect my worst habit is eating standing up, when I'm hungry before a meal, rather than waiting to eat after I prepare the meal and eat that sitting at a table. My second worst habit is continuing to eat after the meal 'standup' bites of fruit. My third worst habit is eating, tasting and licking while I prepare food, even when I'm not starved, but just not full. I can eliminate all thoe stand up eating habits by committing to eat sitting down.

I can usually keep my commitments once I decide I really want/need to do something different. For example, I have not binged or purged for almost 6 months, despite suffering constant, extreme nausea during 17 days of flagyl side effects and pretreatment c-diff symptoms. The trick is convincing myself that I really want to change my behavior. Fortunately an upcoming (4-1/2 weeks away) Maui vacation can motivate me to change my behavior. Interestingly, I blogged several months ago about what I would miss if I never again ate standing up. I need to reread that entry.

I also committed to write down everything I eat (when and how much). Just the act of journalling my food can make me think about whether I want to overeat or even serve myself too much food. Seeing what and how much I eat will help me stay honest about the source of my weight gain or loss.

I hope the forementioned 2 'downs' (sit down and write it down) will make the scale move down. However, I'm more concerned about losing belly flab and hip fluff. Toning my body with exercise seems like keeping several plates spinning. I've recently concentrated on toning my upper arms and stomach with weight lifting and sit ups. I've seen a little improvement in both areas. Meanwhile I've developed some 'hip fluff' (love lumps?) on my back waist area. SIGH Perhaps overall reduction of what I consume will be more effective than spot reducing. I just need to eat less. Usually people lose all over, but notice the most loss in places they least want to lose. Whatever happens with my body, I'm committed to eat less by sitting down and writing it down. I'm going to Maui with whatever body I have, but I hope I can fit into more waistlines of my clothes before I leave.

No comments: