Friday, October 2, 2009

Lost and Found

4 days from now I'll be landing at the Kahului Airport on Maui. I just finished packing almost all my clothes and 2 loaves of gluten/allergy free bread in my suitcase. (I'm still waiting for hand washed lingerie to dry.) I also need to pack vitamins, cosmetics, and other toiletries like shampoo and toothpaste. I'll take some vancomycin and low dose probiotics, but I really hope I don't have to use those. I still experience 'gut' symptoms (fecal urgency, bloating, gas, etc.) but suspect those are caused by the high dose probiotics I'm now taking. I'll skip those on Saturday night, when we attend a local live theater performance, because I don't want to be gassy and add my own sound effects during the play. LOL

Oh yes, the title of this post implies I've lost something. So far I've lost:

(1) the 3 pounds I wanted to lose;
(2) the extra 1/2 inch around my waist (I still have the other half);
(3) my interest in eating unless I'm very hungry;
(4) underarm flab flaps, because daily weight lifting and occasional tennis really firmed my upper arms during the past month or so;
(5) my habit of eating past full (because the high dose probiotics make me super sensitive to 'fullness' at meals);
(6) my crooked smile and 'bite', after spending the past almost 18 months wearing invisiline aligners;
(7) C-diff symptoms (I'll know for sure after I stop taking probiotics);
(8) my overgrown haircut, thanks to a great trim by my stylist (she did so well that I loved my short pixie cut the very first day and still do).
(9) my disordered eating habits (bingeing and purging, from which I extricated myself 6-1/2 months ago);
(10) internet addiction, because I'm more energetic and want to do more than sit in front of this computer.

So what did I find?

(1) EXCITEMENT about going to Maui;
(2) ENERGY to get through my 'to do' list before I leave for Maui;
(3) CONFIDENCE that I can sew again, after completing a tricky rolled serger hem with wooly nylon on the bias cut skirt, which I constructed without pattern directions;
(4) TRUST that my body is going to stay the same size, because I don't binge (which stretches my stomach) and I don't bloat excessively (which stretches my lower abdomen);
(5) RENWED PASSION for sewing and fashion, because my body will stay the same size long enough for me to cut garment fabric, construct the garment and alter that garment to fit my body;
(6) HEALTHY BODY, because I no longer have bad gut bug overgrowth;
(7) OBSESSIVE CLEANLINESS HABITS, because I don't want to consume any more bad bugs from food or anything I touch.

I probably should add that I also lost all the extra time I used to spend on the computer, because I'm busy preparing for my vacation. Beyond packing, I need to harvest the last of the vegies. I'll freeze beans, eat grapes and give away whatever tomatoes I can't eat. I also have an early morning optometrist appointment the morning before we leave. So I'll use appointment time to do a dry run on getting up and out of the house by 8:30am (a real challenge for me LOL). I may not post again on this blog until I get to Maui, where I can use an internet cafe. (I decided against buying a netbook computer, because I need an internet break.)

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

Oh, have fun!!! Hope it's great, Sue.

sue said...

Thanks, Lisa. I'm doing okay today. However, I experienced a LOT of gut pain during the plane ride and yesterday. I feared my c-diff symptoms had returned. However, I now suspect I should have abstained from rice bran in my cereal on the morning we left. I no longer need much 'roughage'. So even a tablespoon of bran can cause lots of bloating and pain, when I'm stuck sitting (on the airplane) for a 8 hour flight. Maybe my body is also still adjusting to having a high amount of 'good' bacteria in my gut. My doc (NP) said that high levels of good bacteria change the way my gut processes food. So I may have more gas and bloating for awhile. Fortunately I seem to have less gas, bloating, etc. today. So maybe I'm getting better, adjusting to the probiotics (and avoiding rice bran), rather than worse, because I have recurrent c-diff. I brought the vanco and low dose probiotics with me, just in case I have a recurrence. However, I only have enough to treat c-diff with regular dose vanco (4x a day) for 4-5 days. So I'll just wait and see. Meanwhile I think I'm getting better. With recurrent c-diff, I'd get worse.