Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Somehow I Became a Normal Eater

Throughout my experience with extreme nausea while taking flagyl, I only threw up once in the middle of the first night about 7 hours after taking my first flagyl dose. Although I tried to distract myself, I could no longer control the physical urge to throw up. Fortunately I wasn't so ill that I continued to throw up or dry heave the rest of the night, as I often do when I'm ill.

After getting sick that first night with flagyl, I did everything I could to prevent getting so nauseas that I threw up again. The metallic taste and nausea caused by flagyl were strongest when my stomach was almost empty and I needed to eat. So I wanted to keep whatever I ate in my stomach. Also throwing up might make me lose the flagyl pills as well as endure even strong metallic taste for hours afterwards. So I drank ginger tea, put fresh ginger into my food, drank lots of room temperature water, and exercised in fresh air every day to reduce the nausea. All that got me through the next 29 doses without throwing up.

Coping with constant nausea and doing everything I could to prevent throwing up completely changed my beliefs about throwing up. My experience with flagyl plus changing my beliefs about food and eating over the past 3 months transformed me from being someone who previously chose to throw up when I felt uncomfortably full, nauseas or suffering cramping gut pains to someone who abhored vomitting and wanted to avoid it no matter what. Also I went from being someone who previously gave myself permission to overeat or even binge, because I knew I could threw up if I felt uncomfortably full, to someone who obsessively avoided overeating or getting too full, because I hated feeling overly full and I hated throwing up. My husband tells me that's how normal people think about throwing up. I also suspect improving my digestion by taking betaine hydrochloride capsules before every meal (which increased my stomach acid) also made me less apt to want to throw up.

Going from using vomiting to cope with discomfort to abhoring the thought of and avoiding vomiting no matter what is a major transformation for me. I previously counted days, weeks and months of 'abstinence' from bingeing and purging, because I hoped that time would change my perspective (or belief that I could binge because I could purge). Nevertheless, I regularly interrupted my abstinence periods with a binge/purge episode or 2.

However, I also still had good/bad food beliefs, which made bingeing attractive as a way to let myself occasionally eat with abandon all the foods I rarely ate without feeling guilty. I didn't worry about calories or fat grams, because I knew I could eat small amounts of anything and not affect my weight. However, my guilt was regret that I wasted my appetite on less than healthy foods (too high glycemic, too low fiber, not nutritious, etc.). My healthy food beliefs (such as 'always eat high fiber foods to prevent irregularity' or 'choose healthy fruits, vegies and meats instead of sweets or treats') kept me craving but fearing the foods I considered 'unhealthy'.

Before my experience with flagyl, I still doubted whether I could continue to 'abstain' from bingeing and purging. After all, I've only abstained 3 months since my last episode. (However I had many 3-6 months long abstinence periods before that.) Most people in 'recovery' only consider a year or more abstinence significant. However now I'm no longer hanging onto abstinence by my fingernails. I don't worry everytime I feel stressed that I might give into urges to binge (and purge).

Previously I chose to binged everytime I felt overwhelmed with physical, psychological and mental stress. Yet, while I did the flagyl treatment I also felt scared, angry and occasionally hopeless as well as very physically ill and overweight, but did not think about bingeing. (I gained a few extra pounds before I started the flagyl treatment, perhaps because I felt too tired while I had undiagnosed c-diff to be as active as usual or maybe because I did some comfort eating.) All those factors, painful emotions, horrible side effects and regret about weight gain could have motivated me to binge on 'forbidden' foods to comfort myself emotionally and then throw up to comfort myself physically.

However, I decided that I would not even think about weight during the flagyl treatment, because I had a potentially fatal bacteria (c-diff). Getting well was more important than a number on the scale. Also I only judged foods by whether they made me less nauseas. I didn't consider calories, fat grams, fiber or glycemic index. I only considered what felt good in my body, made me less nauseas and masked the metallic taste of flagyl. I had NO hunger signals to tell me when to eat. I only had nausea (after I ate) or extreme nausea (when I needed to eat again). Low blood sugar symptoms (headache, coldness and shakiness) also told me when to eat. Sometimes I ate just to cope with nausea, even though I didn't think I needed food. However, I could not overeat without suffering painful reflux and discomfort for hours afterwards. So I soon learned not to eat past just enough.

Now my hunger cues have returned, but I still don't like feeling full after eating. I prefer satisfied or just enough to full now. Amazingly I feel less inclined to eat, even when I notice hunger, because I don't HAVE to eat to treat nausea. I can choose to eat when I'm moderately hungry and will enjoy the taste of the food. Also I ate ice cream after 1-2 meals a day to mask the flagyl metallic taste after taking the pills. Now I have no cravings for ice cream. Instead I crave acidic foods I didn't like to eat while taking flagyl (like strawberries and tomatoes).

Ironically the extra pounds I gained before the flagyl treatment mysteriously disappeared, even while I ate ice cream and sweets to cope with nausea and the metallic taste. Best of all my clothes fit better (no matter what I weigh), because the flagyl killed the bacteria that caused chronic bloating. I still get bloating after taking probiotics at night, but that bloating disappears by morning.

Will I stop counting weeks and months since my last binge/purge episode? Probably not. Even though I changed my perspective and removed all the 'reasons' I used bingeing and purging to 'cope' with stress, I plan to celebrate each day as a normal eater. I want to enjoy each day I spend free from irrational food, eating and body beliefs. Tracking those days on the calendar just reminds me how far I've come and to never take 'normal eating' for granted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
I think you have a great reason to still be mindful of your weeks and months of abstinence considering the transformation you've gone through.
You "went from being someone who previously gave [herself] permission to overeat or even binge, because [you] knew [you] could threw up if [it resulted in feeling] uncomfortably full, to someone who obsessively avoided overeating or getting too full, because [you] hated feeling overly full.."
The experience of the side effects of taking flagyl changed your perception and feelings associated with purging. In the past purging was your way of coping with uncomfortable and painful sensations, whereas now you take care of yourself more to avoid the nausea flagyl caused. Instead of purging to "take care" of yourself, you treat yourself with foods that help you stop feeling nauseous and activities like exercising in the fresh air.
I think that's very impressive!
It's alright that you like to keep track of your "good days" as I feel it is reasonable (considering how long you've struggled with b/p).
I think recovery often doesn't really start happening until something either drastically affects one's health or something like your experience with taking flagyl changes the feeling of those habits.
I feel my recovery didn't really happen until I felt my habits were a threat to everything else in my life. I found that the feelings I was searching for through my habits could be found in healthier ways, and I prefer not to hurt myself anymore.

You're journey of becoming a normal eater is very impressive and inspiring to me! Thank you for sharing!

Olia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sue said...

Thanks, Olia. However, I disagree with your comment that recovery doesn't happen until something drastically happens to affect your health or a horrible experience like taking flagyl. I think recovery happens every time you make small changes in your beliefs and habits. Years ago I realized purging damaged my teeth. I also believed purging caused my gut symptoms until I was diagnosed with CD and food allergies. However those 'drastic' effects on my health did NOT stop me from wanting to binge and purge.

Changing the reasons I binged and purged most affected my recovery.
I binged because I still considered some foods 'bad' as well as very tasty. (So I wanted to eat them, but restricted myself because I feared the consequences of eating 'bad' foods.) By 'bad' I don't mean food allergens. I could easily eliminate and abstain from those, because I knew I would experience instant physical pain after eating allergens. My 'bad' foods were foods which I did not consider as healthy as others, like sweets, desserts, snack foods, even higher calorie preparations of vegies, like french fries, casseroles, etc.

I purged because I did not want to endure the discomfort after overeating or bingeing. I also wanted to avoid the consequences of weight gain. However, I taught myself to just sit with that discomfort and face the consequences of possible weight gain (which usually didn't happen unless I binged several times in one month).

However, even learning to accept consequences of overeating and endure discomfort didn't stop me from bingeing UNTIL I made all nonallergenic foods equal. I removed my good/bad labels, especially when I was enduring side effects of flagyl. I stopped worrying about whether a food was high in fiber, low glycemic, or even healthy. I ate pizza, french fries (several times), ice cream (daily), bacon and banana bread. I threw out 'healthy' food which didn't taste or feel good in my stomach. I ate less of my usual 'healthy' foods and more of my previously 'bad' foods, because those felt better in my stomach while I was struggling with nausea every day.

Maybe feeling bad enough from side effects of flagyl made me change my focus from healthy eating to survival eating. Maybe I had already learned everything I needed to do to 'recover'. (I already abstained from b/p for many 3-6 month periods previous to taking flagyl.) Maybe the flagyl experience was just the confidence building test that I could resist restricting what I ate and resist throwing up under really challenging circumstances.

Most of all I changed my beliefs about bingeing and purging. I don't need to binge in order to eat what I want. I don't need to purge to 'get rid' of bad foods, because I don't have any 'bad' foods. If I accidentally eat an allergen, I know throwing up won't prevent my body from reacting, because if the allergen gets to my stomach, it probably already got into my small intestines where my body reacts to allergens. I do occasionally spit out a bite of something which might have an allergen. However my motto is what goes down (my esophagus), stays down. Once I swallow, there's no turning back.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
Thanks for your response to my previous comment.
I understand why you disagree with the statement I made: "Recovery often doesn't really start happening until something either drastically affects one's health or [side effects from medication changes the reward into negative rewards]"
I guess I was wrong to make an assumption like that, or mostly to put it on you (as it applies more to my own experience). Personally, I think the only reason why I am abstaining from my habit is because the consequences of it are much too great. Like you, I also relied on the "habit" to relieve discomfort and painful sensations from binging or eating wrong combination of foods. I also believed I could "undo" the binge and avoid weight gain.
I also understood that I mainly binged for emotional reasons.
So when I made that comment I looked more towards my own experience, and I believe I would not give up b/p if there wasn't something else in my life that made me feel good.
The cost of b/p on physical and emotional health would also cost me all the other things in my life that make me feel good/happy.

I your motto is great, it definitely encourages to take responsibility for ones choices and actions (since there's no turning back).

Gothic Writer said...

Sue, wow. It sounds like you made it through this tough time. I find your shift in eating during this time interesting; it sounds like the smart thing to do. Eating icecream or whatever would stay down and help with the nausea is likely just what a normal eater would do at a time like this. :)

I just posted a blog post at my site; my sister got a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis a few days ago, and the post is about that if you want to read it (becomingradiant.blogspot.com). I haven't read all your back posts yet, but I will. Just got back in town.

sue said...

Hi Lisa: I'm so sorry to hear about your sister being diagnosed with MS. That's one of those autoimmune diseases which docs can't explain but treat with drugs which slightly decrease the symptoms as the disease rages in the person's body. Eventually no drugs can stop that progression.

However, many studies have highly correlated MS with gluten intolerance. People who have just been diagnosed with MS and abstain from gluten can greatly reduce and control the progression of their disease.

I don't think your sister's doc will even mention avoiding gluten, because there are other special MS diets. Also most docs are mired in 'suppress the symptoms' with drugs, rather than consider dietary ways to treat the cause of the disease.

I wish your sis luck in her battle with that progressive autoimmune disease.

SUE