Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Feeling Appreciated vs. Feeling Effective

My current ambivalence about moderating or posting on intuitive or normal eating boards reminds me of many previous volunteer leadership experiences. I start every position enthusiastically with the belief "I can do this". However I soon realized my intentions for the group don't quite match the intentions of others in the group. For example, I started a ThinWithin group at my church in order to teach people, who struggled with overweight, TW's approach to 'normal' or nondiet eating. So they could not only lose weight, but lose their obsession with food, eating and their bodies. I soon learned that many group members did not want to change their beliefs or eating habits. They just wanted sympathy for their struggles with weight and dieting. They wanted to vent about, rather than find solutions for, their problems.

Habit change gurus would say they are in the 'contemplation' mode of change, because they know they are unhappy, but they are ambivalent about changing their habits. Nevertheless those group members thanked me for starting and leading the group. I felt appreciated, but not effective. I wasn't doing what I intended to accomplish. I didn't think my efforts made any difference in the lives of the group members.

Now I realize that I can only coax people to view their problems differently. I can't force them to change before they are ready. So why would I choose to lead nondiet groups for people who struggle with weight loss diets? Why would I choose to moderate websites for people who struggle with overeating and overweight? How could I ever feel 'effective' about changing people who are ambivalent about change? If insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results, then I must be insane to believe I can ever convince people that they can learn to eat 'normally' from hunger/fullness cues, lose weight and maintain their ideal weight like I did.

As I typed that first paragraph, I realized I feel ambivalent about encouraging people who are ambivalent. LOL If they don't know whether they want to change their habits, I don't know whether I want to respond to their posts, encourage them or help them find what works for them to solve their problems. In 'Brief Therapy for Eating Disorders' Barbara McFarland suggests that asking people who feel ambivalent about change to visualize their 'miracle day' to help them realize change is not only possible but within their grasp. However those fanatasies don't convince some people that they could resolve their eating problems.

When I created my FTGF board I stipulated in the board description that members actively seek solutions for their problems. I didn't stipulate that they use intuitive eating or a nondiet approach. Several members really wanted support to follow their restrictive diets, which influenced them to binge occasionally, rather than give up dieting altogether. Eventually I found myself trying to dissuade them from following restrictive diets, which they believed were the only way they could lose weight. I now realize that their goals for themselves were different from my goals for them. Although I initially tried to support their goals, I slipped into telling them what worked best for me, which caused my current frustration.

Maybe my ambivalence is really about wanting to encourage them to work toward nondiet, intuitive eating goals, rather than supporting their efforts to reach their own goals. However, one member's initial stated problem (fantasizing about food) actually was the way she obeyed her very restrictive diet most of the time. Also most board members thanked me for telling them what worked for me (which was intuitive or hunger/fullness eating) even though they were counting calories and restricting certain foods in order to lose weight.

Perhaps my ambivalence stems from a general confusion about everyone's goals. Do they just want to lose weight as quickly as possible and then worry about learning how to eat intuitively after they lose the weight? Or do they want to learn to eat intuitively while they slowly lose the weight? Do they value intuitive eating more or less than weight loss? Some prefer IE and some prefer rapid weight loss with restrictive diets (despite slips).

I think I need to post some questions about: Where are you now (after 2 months of participating on this board)? What was the initial problem eating habit you wanted to change? Have you changed that habit? Have you changed the goal you originally said you wanted to reach? Have you decided to work on a different problem eating habit? Do you believe you can reach your goal or resolve that eating habit? Why or why not?

I realize that this post is full of 'maybes'. LOL So obviously I'm still undecided about what I want to do about my FTGF board. I'll start by asking those 'where are you now?' questions. However, I still hesitate to post on the IE board. One board is enough for me right now.

4 comments:

Claudi said...

Hi Sue
You asked So why would I choose to lead nondiet groups for people who struggle with weight loss diets? Why would I choose to moderate websites for people who struggle with overeating and overweight?

You have been trying to help people
for years and I think It is just your calling or you would have
quit a long time ago !

If you can't help anybody but me and you are sure helping me :)
I think that makes it worthwhile
not that I think I am special lol
for me right now it is the right time and I am listening I am so glad I met you all those years ago
and kept in contact and you are
showing me the light !!!!!

thanks
Claudia

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. Hearing that I helped just one person makes moderating FTGF worthwhile. I suspect I'm wondering whether I actually help anybody, because I need to cut back the time I spend online. I want to enjoy more summer actvities, like biking, gardening, playing tennis and taking day trips with my husband.

I need to set some boundaries on my time. I used to worry when I couldn't post a reply to FTGF posts ASAP. However I realize members post and then go offline. So they may not even read my reply until the next day. So I'm trying to find the best time for me to post, which is usually late afternoon or late evening for me, when I'm too tired to do anything else. LOL

Gothic Writer said...

Sue, this is a great post. When I first found my method for managing my disordered eating and all the symptoms of my biochemistry, I wanted to tell everyone and help everyone as you know. I was often too pushy or enthusiastic. :) I can't blame myself too much. LOL. I really have seen such a change in my life that I'd want to pass it on.

But what I realized is this: I CANNOT stake my worth/feelings, etc. on whether other people do what I do. They will or they won't-- even if it's the greatest thing and they need it so badly. And that's fine. To really get involved in fretting over what they do about their eating issues becomes something like codependency or enmeshment in someone else's life where they need freedom to choose (at least for me and I know I tend toward this because I was raised to be enmeshed and foster codependency. Awareness of it has helped me avoid it more recently). Now, I give out a copy of one of KD's books I bought at the thrift store (I buy one any time I see one. LOL) when someone asks, "What is sugar sensitivity? I think I live that." Or I give them an RR card, or direct them to my blog. I post stuff on FB about it. And that's about it. Something that has really struck me is this statement by Kathleen when members fret over others and them not being ready to change/do the food, etc:

Recovery is for those people who want it, not for those who need it.

Want and need are the important words there. Lots of people need recovery, but most don't want to change or do what it takes (but maybe they will at some point, and I always hope for that for all of them). That has given me a lot of freedom, and I know there are many folks that have been helped by my story. And that's enough. RR is neat because if I ever get to step 7, I can definitely post on the boards as a mentor, etc. But Kathleen will still moderate and call out even leaders when they are too pushy. I think it's neat that she is so invested in recovery for sugar addicts, but she knows that it is their choice, ultimately.

Anyway, you have been a great help to me and others I know! :)

sue said...

Hi Lisa: Thanks for sharing your point of view. However, I didn't really create FTGF (my current yahoo board) just to teach people about what helped me. I started it after several members (including me) got tired of one member of the Food & Feelings board complaining what we discussed in our posts.

I wanted to create a board where we could talk about anything as well as consider how to resolve problem eating habits. I didn't start with a specific ideology like Radiant Recovery or Intuitive Eating. So people who joined my board were losing weight by counting calories, following Weight Watchers, attempting to use Intuitive Eating and me still trying to overcome a longterm binge purge habit and learn to eat as 'normally' as I could with 7 food allergy restrictions. At that point I had only abstained from bingeing and purging for about 6 weeks when I created the board, although I had many previous longer 'abstinence' periods.

My only stipulation was that members of the board actively post (rather than lurk) and consider how to resolve their problem, especially by considering what helped to resist using their problem habits. So our board was 'solution oriented' rather than a place to vent about everything in our lives, especially from a victim mentality.

Toward the end of this post I stated a 'solution' to my quandry. I posted those questions on my board and feel a lot better about my efforts. I also realized I mainly was frustrated by one member's 'problem', but mostly because I was not viewing that from her perspective.

Above all I realized I needed to set better boundaries on my time, rather than get so involved with moderating a board that I didn't have time for myself or other activities or relationships in my life. I am passionate about my board, but I didn't want that passion to prevent me from setting good boundaries on my time.

If you read my posts backwards, you may see those were a thinking process. I've kinda posted my conclusions in my replies to other people's comments here. So I don't know whether I'll add another post about my insights. I'm now overwhelmed with more physical symptoms. So I'm no longer concerned with how I feel about moderating FTGF.